Data Engineer Analystics (Remote)
Sentient Energy (www.sentient-energy.com), a subsidiary of Koch Engineered Solutions (KES), has established itself as an electric utility industry leader with its uniquely capable Grid Analytics System consist of several intelligent sensor product lines and software platforms. Global utilities already spend billions annually on distribution automation products, with strong growth expected over the next 5 years as the industry prepares for a rapid increase in solar, electric vehicle and other renewables penetration. Sentient Energy is positioned to capitalize on this trend and be a leader in the most rapidly growing sector of the Smart Grid, while making the delivery of power more reliable, safer, affordable, and much “greener”.
Sentient Energy is actively seeking to fill a Data Engineer role as part of the data science organization based in Milpitas, CA. This organization is responsible for building, operationalizing, and delivering a cloud analytics platform to drive value from sensor and grid data. This platform is leveraged to characterize, classify, and predict the evolving behavior and performance of smart electric utility systems through synergistic utilization of smart grid data coupled with state-of-the-art Analytics and AI technologies. With the projected increase in utility IoT deployments, the amount of operational and non-operational data is exploding. Deriving business value from these investments requires both small data and big data applications to effectively collect, ingest, and analyze the data for both edge and cloud deployment. Real-time and batch analytics need to be developed to realize the full value of IoT investments. Our efforts help electric utilities streamline operations, enhance system reliability, integrate more renewables, and increase system safety and resiliency.
This position offers a unique hands-on opportunity to apply the latest data engineering technologies in the rapidly developing and highly visible electric utility space within the Green Energy sector. You will be handling and dealing with real utility data and help solve some of the long-standing industry challenges as we face an exponential growth in digitalization and grid modernization.
What You Will Do In Your Role
The selected candidate will work in a cross-functional team. Specific functions include:
- Support automation of collection of large volumes of IoT data from field devices and utility automation systems
- Design, build, and optimize data pipelines from systems on-premise to the cloud
- Help manage and maintain on-prem and cloud servers and systems used for analytics
- Generate custom reports related to data engineering to support data analytics and professional services
- Maintain and extend cloud and container-based software applications to assist model development and deployment
- Maintain an understanding of best practices and state of the industry in data engineering to guide product decisions
The Experience You Will Bring
- 2+ years of experience in a data engineer role, architecting and implementing big data pipelines
- Advanced working knowledge of SQL and experience working on a variety of relational databases technologies, including Microsoft SQL Server Suite and MySQL
- Strong use and understanding of Linux variants (Ubuntu, RedHat, CentOS, etc)
- Proficient in Python shell scripting for report generation
- 2+ years of experience using Git for source control
- 1+ years of experience with TCP/IP networking with emphasis on bulk data transfer and storage
What Will Put You Ahead
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field such as Computer Science or Engineering
- Basic knowledge of the following technologies:
- SCADA, distribution management systems (DMS) and outage management systems (OMS)
- DNP3 architecture and protocol
- Network and communications support and troubleshooting expertise
- Establishing and using a cloud storage environment for data transmission
- 2+ years of working with AWS services, specifically EC2, S3, Glue, Redshift, Sagemaker and Fargate
- Experience implementing message queues, stream processing and other highly scalable architectures in AWS
- Experience in working with embedded devices and firmware
- Team Player that is flexible working in a collaborative environment
Our goal is for each employee, and their families, to live fulfilling and healthy lives. We provide essential resources and support to build and maintain physical, financial, and emotional strength - focusing on overall wellbeing so you can focus on what matters most. Our benefits plan includes - medical, dental, vision, flexible spending and health savings accounts, life insurance, ADD, disability, retirement, paid vacation/time off, educational assistance, and may also include infertility assistance, paid parental leave and adoption assistance. Specific eligibility criteria is set by the applicable Summary Plan Description, policy or guideline and benefits may vary by geographic region. If you have questions on what benefits apply to you, please speak to your recruiter.
At Koch companies, we are entrepreneurs. This means we openly challenge the status quo, find new ways to create value and get rewarded for our individual contributions. Any compensation range provided for a role is an estimate determined by available market data. The actual amount may be higher or lower than the range provided considering each candidate’s knowledge, skills, abilities, and geographic location. If you have questions, please speak to your recruiter about the flexibility and detail of our compensation philosophy.
For this role, we anticipate paying $110,000 - $150,000 per year. This role is eligible for variable pay, issued as a monetary bonus or in another form.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf