Optimized Process Designs, LLC (OPD) is a name in the natural gas industry that has become synonymous with quality design and construction, competitive pricing, and on time delivery of processing, treating, and compression facilities.
Incorporated in 1980, OPD is still managed by its original founders whose reputation for honesty, integrity and technical excellence is unmatched in the industry. Although generally thought of as a smaller E & C firm, OPD has successfully completed several projects in excess of $500MM on a turnkey basis. In 1997, OPD became a Koch Chemical Technology Group company, which further enhanced OPD's reputation and increased its financial strength.
OPD has a key advantage in being able to supply construction services, as well as engineering/procurement. This enables clients to have a ''one stop shop'' for the overall project, providing increased efficiency and avoiding potential interface problems. OPD's industry experience, flexibility, and personal attention have made us a preferred vendor with our clients. Our tight knit, highly productive, team atmosphere makes OPD a great place to work. This environment has allowed us to attract and maintain exceptional employees and build long lasting client relationships, which will help to ensure our long-term business success.
The OPD shop located in Katy, TX has an opening for a Welder Helper.
What You Will Do In Your Role
Some core responsibilities for a welder helper include:
- Assisting welder with making sure that welder has all materials required for welding: rods, grinding discs
- Assist welder with setting up and moving the rig between work areas
- Adjust temperature on welding machine at the direction of the welder
- Cleaning welds with a buffer or grinder
- Being familiar with different types of metals
- Clean work area and restock supplies and materials as necessary
- Operate tools and equipment including: beveling machines, cut-off grinders, hammers, torches, magnetic drills, welding machines, and a Saw-Zall.
- Ability to work safely and accurately.
We expect all shop employees to:
- Actively participate in a strong safety culture
- Recognize safety hazards and risks
- Participate in onsite safety meetings
- Follow OPD and client safety policies and procedures
- Be aware of changing conditions on an active jobsite
- Be on time to the jobsite each day ready for work
- Display a positive attitude and be able to work in a team environment
- High attention to detail to avoid reworks and errors
Some physical demands of being a welder helper include:
- Lifting and carrying awkward objects up to 60 lbs
- Standing for extended periods of time up to 11 hours per day. Breaks are given in 2.5 hour intervals
- Moving the entire body. Considerable use of arms, legs, climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, crawling, twisting, reaching, and bending on a regular basis.
- Must be able to work on elevated platforms and maintain balance when stepping on narrow platforms such as beams and pipes. Must be able to perform these activities while wearing an approved full-body harness and lanyard.
- Use hands to handle, control, and feel objects and/or tools.
The Experience You Will Bring
- Must be able to read, write & communicate in English
- Must be willing and able to work shifts up to 12 hours per day and 7 days per week.
- Must be able and willing to attend mandatory safety meetings
- Must be able to meet all physical requirements
- Must know how to clean welds with a buffer or grinder for the welder
- 6 months previous experience as a welder helper
What Will Put You Ahead
- Past exposure to different metals including carbon, stainless steel, and galvanized steel
- Experience in a gas plant construction environment
- Familiar with all aspects of welding and their impact on the project
- Previous experience working in a shop environment
Our goal is for each employee, and their families, to live fulfilling and healthy lives. We provide essential resources and support to build and maintain physical, financial, and emotional strength - focusing on overall wellbeing so you can focus on what matters most. Specific eligibility criteria is set by the applicable Summary Plan Description, policy or guideline and benefits may vary by geographic region. If you have questions on what benefits apply to you, please speak to your recruiter.
At Koch companies, we are entrepreneurs. This means we openly challenge the status quo, find new ways to create value and get rewarded for our individual contributions. Any compensation range provided for a role is an estimate determined by available market data. The actual amount may be higher or lower than the range provided considering each candidate’s knowledge, skills, abilities, and geographic location. If you have questions, please speak to your recruiter about the flexibility and detail of our compensation philosophy.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf