Intellectual Property Attorney
This job posting is no longer active.
Koch Companies Public Sector (KCPS), a subsidiary of Koch Industries, is seeking a motivated Intellectual Property Attorney with patent expertise, critical thinking skills, and a contribution mindset to join our integrated IP Legal Capability as counsel, senior counsel, or chief counsel, supporting the diverse and global businesses of the Koch companies. This role has significant interaction with business and R&D leadership and will strategically guide and profitably manage growing innovation activities for evolving Koch businesses.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate integrity, deliver sophisticated counsel to senior leaders with confidence, embrace and drive transformation, and be a lifelong learner. The candidate will support various Koch companies in various locations, with the ability to interact in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment and develop strong relationships at all levels of the organization. A successful candidate will demonstrate an interest in understanding each of the supported Koch companies and the markets in which they operate, partnering with various stakeholders to provide value-driven services in line with commercial objectives.
The position preferably is located in Lisle or Chicago, Illinois, Atlanta, Georgia, Wichita, Kansas, or Auburn Hills, Michigan.
At Koch, we offer opportunities for career growth at one of the largest, most financially stable companies in the world, at competitive pay and benefits. Koch companies employ more than 120,000 people across 60 countries, operating in many industries, a sampling of which includes consumer products, glass, polymers. packaging, building products, electronics and computer software, and include Guardian Industries, INVISTA, Molex, Georgia-Pacific, Koch Ag & Energy Solutions, Koch Engineered Solutions, Flint Hills Resources, and Infor.
What You Will Do In Your Role
Become a preferred partner through strong engagement with commercial and technical stakeholders of advancing businesses in chemistry- and chemical engineering-related markets, including glass and polymers. Among other responsibilities, this role includes:
- Strategically developing and managing company’s global patent portfolios, including actively shaping portfolios consistent with shifting business objectives considering third-party patent risks, competitive patent portfolios, and products/processes
- Actively managing preparation and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications, working to help steer inventive activities and align patent assets with value creation
- Developing profitable IP and commercial positions for third-party collaborations, along with drafting and negotiating IP-related agreements
- Performing IP due diligence and drafting and negotiating IP-related terms for M&A transactions as part of the deal team
- Counseling businesses on trade secret strategy, protection, and enforcement
- Counseling businesses on risks, options, and recommendations concerning potential disputes and teaming with in-house litigation capability and outside counsel to deliver advantaged outcomes on technical IP litigation matters
- Providing technical IP training
The Experience You Will Bring
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- State bar admission; registration to practice before the USPTO
- 5+ years of experience in patent law
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, or materials science
What Will Put You Ahead
- In-house IP experience
- International experience
- Trade secret experience, including protection and enforcement strategies
- Transactional and M&A experience
- IP litigation experience
- Trademark experience
- Familiarity with IP software systems (e.g., First to File, Innography, Memotech)
Our goal is for each employee, and their families, to live fulfilling and healthy lives. We provide essential resources and support to build and maintain physical, financial, and emotional strength - focusing on overall wellbeing so you can focus on what matters most. Our benefits plan includes - medical, dental, vision, flexible spending and health savings accounts, life insurance, ADD, disability, retirement, paid vacation/time off, educational assistance, and may also include infertility assistance, paid parental leave and adoption assistance. Specific eligibility criteria is set by the applicable Summary Plan Description, policy or guideline and benefits may vary by geographic region. If you have questions on what benefits apply to you, please speak to your recruiter.
At Koch companies, we are entrepreneurs. This means we openly challenge the status quo, find new ways to create value and get rewarded for our individual contributions. Any compensation range provided for a role is an estimate determined by available market data. The actual amount may be higher or lower than the range provided considering each candidate’s knowledge, skills, abilities, and geographic location. If you have questions, please speak to your recruiter about the flexibility and detail of our compensation philosophy.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf
This job posting is no longer active.