Global Automation & Controls Manager
When you are looking at a city’s skyline or the grilles on the latest cars and trucks, chances are you’re seeing our products. Through Guardian Glass, a Guardian Industries company, we make high- performance, energy efficient glass for homes and buildings. SRG Global™, a Guardian Industries company, makes automotive trim products that define a vehicle’s DNA and help improve fuel efficiency. And perhaps most of all, we make the ideas, formulas and processes that make these products possible. Guardian Industries is 18,000 people working to make products that improve people’s lives!
Guardian Industries is looking for you to join our team as a Global Automation & Controls Manager!
As Global Automation & Controls Manager, you’ll be a core member of the Operations Transformation Engineering team: We will transform the way we work, by becoming the fastest in the glass industry at adopting productivity enhancing technologies and scaling up improvement projects, across our manufacturing platforms to achieve our Operations Vison and create a competitive advantage.
The successful individual should be able to operate autonomously and as part of a team to drive results at all levels. A degree in engineering with a focus on automation, controls, or relevant experience is desired.
Average of 25% domestic and/or international travel expected.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Collaboration with Operations Transformation/Engineering plant partners to evaluate and execute automation opportunities, leveraging existing and new technologies, at our Float Glass plants globally.
- Provide technical scope to support integration (controls, networks) of automation into existing manufacturing lines.
- Support project teams with integration, installation, and commissioning to scale applications across multiple sites.
- Design layouts, tooling, and equipment requirements using cycle time modeling and throughput digestibility calculations.
The Experience You Will Bring
AUTOMATION / PROCESS CONTROLS / ROBOTICS ENGINEER
- Machine Control: Strong knowledge of PLCs, SCADA systems, VFD’s etc. (e.g.: Allen Bradley; Siemens; GE iFix and their related programming languages. Safety PLC and interlocks
- Material Handling: Glass stackers/robotics, servo drives and position loops, tracking and interface, inspection systems
- Control System Hardware: Safety circuits, Network diagrams, Hardware schematics (power, PLC I/O, Analog, Network), Cable and raceway schedules / drawings, Process control loops (pressure, temperature, positioning), VFD Drives and motor control (Servo, Vector) open and closed loop
- Cable / Power Distribution: (low voltage 480V), UPS, cable size and raceway specifications, Cable/raceway schedules / drawings.
- Modeling / Layouts: cycle time and digestibility calculations to determine equipment quantity, layouts, tooling requirements.
- Experience with hands-on troubleshooting and support of various systems in a continuously operating manufacturing environment.
- Creating Scope definition (RFQ) specifications and documents. Apply critical and economic thinking.
What Will Put You Ahead
- A degree in engineering with a focus on automation, controls, or relevant experience.
- Project Experience including:
- - Glass Plant Capping line, Coater, or Fabrication automation projects.
- - Process control system hardware, network, HMI, upgrades, or integration.
- - Demonstrated layout drawing, modeling, and technical specifications.
- - Installation and commissioning oversite.
- Strong communication and collaborative skills to lead and work across plant sites globally within departmental capabilities.