Technology Research Director
Koch Investment Group (KIG), the investment arm of Koch Industries, is seeking a Technology Research Director, based in Wichita, KS, to join KIG's Global Market and Thematic Research Group. This team is tasked with understanding technology, innovation, and change, as it impacts markets and industries across the globe. The primary responsibility of this group will be to identify the most significant trends that will disrupt an industry, or which will create an entirely new industry, understand which segments most likely fit Koch investment criteria and capabilities, and to prioritize those segments in the value chain which have the best opportunities to create value for Koch Industries through our investment. The best fits for Koch Industries are where we can bring more than capital, but where we acquire new capabilities that are complimentary to Koch, or where Koch’s capabilities such as MBM or Koch Labs are valuable to the counterparty. As the research is refined, analysis of specific public and private companies will be completed and published, which will serve as the starting point for potential relationship development and investment. The customers of this research team will be the KIG businesses (KDT, KSP, KED, KIM, KREI) and the portfolio companies of Koch Industries, to the extent they request specific support. The entire team must be passionate about developing domain expertise in thematic investing and equity analysis supported by those transformational trends impacting many industries, from robotics, autonomous vehicles, cyber-security, energy transformation, biological medical innovation, and many others. Once fully functional, this team should be the go-to place for understanding technology, innovation, and change.
What you will do
- Conduct front to back thematic, market, and company research. Synthesize research into actionable insights. Develop a point-of-view, frame, communicate, and seek feedback. Publish written research and iterate. Each piece of research should identify and evaluate key strategic trends, market forces, stakeholder incentives, opportunities, and risks associated with various focus areas.
- Build and leverage internal and external knowledge networks (such as consultants, banks, universities, and think tanks) to assimilate views and organize those themes that are realistic, actionable, investable, and where mutual benefit can be gained by investing in the technology and disruptions.
- Identify and monitor trends and forces shaping the future through avid reading and knowledge networking in order to proactively source and prioritize research that creates the most value.
- Apply Koch mental models core to creating value, including virtual cycles of mutual benefit, preferred partners, risk-adjusted thinking, economic marginal analysis, knowledge sharing, and the challenge process.
- Engage with KIG leadership, collaborate across KIG with thematic knowledge holders, and knowledge share within our highly-collaborative research team.
- Opportunity to help shape a newly formed team and set research, point-of-view development, and writing best practices.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years research, point-of-view development, commercial strategy, consulting, or related experience.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, capacity for critical thought, synthesis of academic or external research, and ability to translate into actionable insights.
- Excel in verbal, written, and visual communications.
What will put you ahead
- Masters or Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, economics, finance, engineering, or other fields that enable identification and analysis of global trends and disruptive technologies.
- 10+ years research, point-of-view development, commercial strategy, or related experience.
- Specialized knowledge in thematic areas such as technology, healthcare, connectivity & computing, cyber-security, industrial technology, fintech, etc.
- Ability to both dive deep and move between thematic areas, allowing for versatility and supporting employee self-actualization
- Passion for reading, writing, and critical thinking
Our goal is for each employee, and their families, to live fulfilling and healthy lives. We provide essential resources and support to build and maintain physical, financial, and emotional strength - focusing on overall wellbeing so you can focus on what matters most. Our benefits plan includes - medical, dental, vision, flexible spending and health savings accounts, life insurance, ADD, disability, retirement, paid vacation/time off, educational assistance, and may also include infertility assistance, paid parental leave and adoption assistance. Specific eligibility criteria is set by the applicable Summary Plan Description, policy or guideline and benefits may vary by geographic region. If you have questions on what benefits apply to you, please speak to your recruiter.
At Koch companies, we are entrepreneurs. This means we openly challenge the status quo, find new ways to create value and get rewarded for our individual contributions. Any compensation range provided for a role is an estimate determined by available market data. The actual amount may be higher or lower than the range provided considering each candidate’s knowledge, skills, abilities, and geographic location. If you have questions, please speak to your recruiter about the flexibility and detail of our compensation philosophy.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf