Process Engineering Technician
Georgia-Pacific's Containerboard division is seeking qualified professionals to consider for their Process Engineering Technician opportunity, supporting our Process Engineering Group within our Big Island manufacturing operation, located in Big Island, Virginia. The Process Engineering Technician is responsible for supporting the engineering department to test and monitor production area performance. This includes executing routine process testing, supporting process engineers during trials, and collaborating with corporate resources on continuous process improvement initiatives. This role reports to the Process Engineering Group Leader, with frequent collaboration with the Mill Quality department and corporate engineering resources. Partnership with the following stakeholders will enable the Process Engineering Technician to be successful in this role: Optimizers, Area Asset Leaders, Operators, Process Control Engineers, Process Engineers; Engineering Co-ops, Mill Product Stewardship Group, Mill Quality Department, Safety Department, and Maintenance. Long-term value is created through the application of the company’s business philosophy of Market Based Management and Georgia-Pacific’s Guiding Principles.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Perform routine testing of key process variables to ensure online process instrumentation accuracy
- Routine reporting of test data
- Generate work requests for process instrumentation calibration
- Ensuring mill lab equipment maintains operational performance and calibration
- Ensure labs are stocked with critical test supplies
- Raise operator knowledge of processes data test results
- Support Process & Process Control Engineers to troubleshoot process upsets
- Support the Quality Engineer to troubleshoot potential customer issues and provide back-up support for paper testing labs.
- Mentor co-op & intern engineers
- Continually build relationships with operators to enable knowledge sharing that may uncover the best alternative to a problem
- Make appropriate recommendations to facilitate continuous improvement
- Work with corporate resources to statistically analyze processes to develop and sustain optimal operating envelopes
The Experience You Will Bring
- Associate Degree or higher
- Experience working in lab environment
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs such as Word (to write business correspondence), Excel (for use of spreadsheets, reporting, simple formulas) and Outlook (for internal and external correspondence)
What Will Put You Ahead
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering
- Experience in a continuous manufacturing environment
- Experience presenting technical information to all levels of an organization
- Experience in the Pulp & Paper or Chemical Manufacturing Industry
The Big Island Paper Mill
The mill produces the paper used to make boxes. Half of the production is made from 100% recycle fiber and the other half uses about 25% recycle fiber. In 2015, a $50 million upgrade enabled the production of a higher return product. The mill employs about 330 people; about 90 are salaried. To learn more about Georgia-Pacific’s packaging business please visit: www.gppackaging.com and view the video How Paper Is Made!
About the Big Island Living Area
Mill employees live in many of the surrounding areas including Lynchburg, Bedford, Amherst County, and Big Island. The Blue Ridge Mountains, James River, and Smith Mountain Lake provide some of the best outdoor recreation in the U.S. You can drive to the Virginia and North Carolina coasts within 5 hours. There are three airports within a one-hour drive. Area schools are excellent. Two ACC schools, UVA and Va. Tech, are within 2-hour’s drive. Lynchburg is home to Liberty U., U. of Lynchburg, and Randolph College.
Our goal is for each employee, and their families, to live fulfilling and healthy lives. We provide essential resources and support to build and maintain physical, financial, and emotional strength - focusing on overall wellbeing so you can focus on what matters most. Our benefits plan includes - medical, dental, vision, flexible spending and health savings accounts, life insurance, ADD, disability, retirement, paid vacation/time off, educational assistance, and may also include infertility assistance, paid parental leave and adoption assistance. Specific eligibility criteria is set by the applicable Summary Plan Description, policy or guideline and benefits may vary by geographic region. If you have questions on what benefits apply to you, please speak to your recruiter.
At Koch companies, we are entrepreneurs. This means we openly challenge the status quo, find new ways to create value and get rewarded for our individual contributions. Any compensation range provided for a role is an estimate determined by available market data. The actual amount may be higher or lower than the range provided considering each candidate’s knowledge, skills, abilities, and geographic location. If you have questions, please speak to your recruiter about the flexibility and detail of our compensation philosophy.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf