Counsel/Senior Counsel, Product/Environmental Stewardship
Koch Companies Public Sector (KCPS), a subsidiary of Koch Industries, is seeking a motivated Counsel/Senior Counsel (depending on experience), Product/ESG Stewardship. This role will work with our internal Environmental, Social, Governance and/or Product Stewardship teams on a variety of responsibilities, outlined below.
The position must be based in Wichita, KS, Washington, D.C. or Atlanta, GA.
What You Will Do In Your Role
Become a preferred partner through strong engagement with commercial, operational, and technical stakeholders internal and external to Koch related to Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) Stewardship and/or Product Stewardship. Among other responsibilities, this includes:
- Applying specialized legal analysis and guidance related to global product and chemical emerging issues, law and regulation, including registrations of chemicals (TSCA, REACH, MEE Order Number 12, Turkey REACH, etc.), products (food contact, medical device, pesticides, etc.) and associated labeling requirements. This includes regulatory interpretation and counseling, reporting and registration, and compliance and risk management.
- Working with the internal Stewardship team to strategically develop and manage company’s ESG Stewardship priorities, including actively advising companies on emerging ESG requirements and customer communications consistent with evolving business objectives considering emerging risks. Perform counseling with a focus on finding practical ways to help create value while ensuring compliance and managing risk.
- Actively managing and providing legal counsel on materials making product or ESG Stewardship related claims.
- Developing strategies, as a partner with the businesses, to determine how to respond to customer ESG inquiries, review and provide guidance on responding to ESG questionnaires, track, assess and communicate regarding emerging risks and mitigation strategies.
- Performing Product and ESG due diligence and drafting and negotiating Product and ESG-related terms for M&A transactions.
- Developing and providing training on relevant subject areas.
- Assisting with new product innovation reviews for Product Stewardship and ESG Stewardship implications.
- Review and provide guidance on Life Cycle Assessments, Environmental Product Declarations, ESG Reporting requirements, etc.
- Collaborate with corporate and facility operations leaders; environmental professionals; government and public affairs professionals, Law Department colleagues; and government and community stakeholders on a wide variety of stewardship matters impacting the company’s global facilities, innovations, and commercial relationships.
The Experience You Will Bring
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- State bar admission
- 3+ years of previous experience in ESG; and/or 5+ years experience providing legal advice in the field of chemical regulations (ex. TSCA, FIFRA, REACH), product safety and registration (ex. FDA medical devices, food contact, or food/feed), environmental marketing (compliance with FTC Green Guides), environmental policy, and relevant emerging issues.
What Will Put You Ahead
- 5+ years of previous experience in ESG law, policy and strategy counseling
- Previous experience practicing in-house, trade associations or relevant government agencies.
- Previous experience in the Automotive, Electronics, Food Contact, and/or Medical Device industries.
- Previous experience managing large projects with complex issues, customers, work streams
- Life Cycle Assessment counseling experience
- Relevant experience in non-US Jurisdictions (particularly EU and/or APAC)
- Enforcement and/or litigation experience
- Undergraduate degree in relevant science field
Our goal is for each employee, and their families, to live fulfilling and healthy lives. We provide essential resources and support to build and maintain physical, financial, and emotional strength - focusing on overall wellbeing so you can focus on what matters most. Our benefits plan includes - medical, dental, vision, flexible spending and health savings accounts, life insurance, ADD, disability, retirement, paid vacation/time off, educational assistance, and may also include infertility assistance, paid parental leave and adoption assistance. Specific eligibility criteria is set by the applicable Summary Plan Description, policy or guideline and benefits may vary by geographic region. If you have questions on what benefits apply to you, please speak to your recruiter.
At Koch companies, we are entrepreneurs. This means we openly challenge the status quo, find new ways to create value and get rewarded for our individual contributions. Any compensation range provided for a role is an estimate determined by available market data. The actual amount may be higher or lower than the range provided considering each candidate’s knowledge, skills, abilities, and geographic location. If you have questions, please speak to your recruiter about the flexibility and detail of our compensation philosophy.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf