R&D Lab Technician
In this role you will be responsible for the mechanical (tensile, impact) and thermal (DSC, TGA, HDT) testing and the AEG/viscosity determination of polymers.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Provide expert experimental support for R&D initiatives and Technical Support activities within the Intermediates Polymer business.
- Work in such a way that safety in the number one priority, raising compliance or safety concerns immediately.
- Mechanical and thermal testing of our products; AEG and viscosity determination of polymers
- Be responsible for commissioning, risk assessment, maintaining equipment in a safe and fully compliant working condition, developing operating and training procedures for defined techniques such as tensile testing, impact testing, DSC, TGA, HDT
- Take on the responsibilities and accountabilities of being a Laboratory Safety Supervisor or deputy. When required, be responsible for the development, validation, and documentation of new test methods.
- Raise to the operations or R&D manager any practical issues and/or equipment constraints that occur during the conduct of experimental programs and endeavour to resolve.
- Exercise good time management agreeing timescales and goals with key stakeholders, delivering to agreed plans.
- Be responsible for reporting on and maintaining accurate records of experimental activity and inputting to the direction of such activities.
- Contribute to the improvement of programs by interpretation of data, making recommendations on program direction, defining experimental plans, developing own program proposals, and increasing technical skills relevant to role (e.g., expertise in polymer characterisation techniques).
The Experience You Will Bring
- High awareness of the risks associated with R&D technical development work, the safe handling of hazardous chemicals
- Thorough understanding and application of SHE and COSHH in a laboratory environment.
- Experience in preparation of COSHH and Risk assessment.
- Experience of operating in a busy lab, exercising good lab practice.
- Display analytical thinking and problem solving approach to work.
- Proven ability to plan experimental work, deliver the plan, maintain high quality detailed written records and report results using Microsoft based software packages.
- Excellent organisational and communication skills – attention to detail and thorough record keeping, maintaining accurate and clear records.
- Work proactively with passion & a sense of urgency. Willing to take responsibility and be held accountable, must have the capacity to focus on detail. Display humility and be highly respectful of others, working well as part of a team.
- Willing to learn quickly and take responsibility for own continuous growth and development of innate abilities. Where appropriate, input technically to the direction & planning of programs Flexibility to take on a breadth of responsibilities and capability to multitask.
What Will Put You Ahead
- Degree/ A Level in materials science (or chemistry related subject), or equivalent experience in industry
- Experience in the polymer testing techniques, such as, DSC, DMA, TGA, HDT, tensile and impact testing.
- Strong performer in SHE related disciplines
INVISTA is among the world's largest integrated producers of intermediate chemicals, polymers, and fibers, primarily for nylon. With a business presence in more than 20 countries, INVISTA delivers exceptional value for its customers through market insights, technology innovations and a powerful portfolio of global trademarks including CORDURA® fabric. INVISTA's businesses include Intermediates and Performance Surfaces & Materials. We transform daily life through innovations that create long-term value for our customers and society. You can be a part of the difference by joining the INVISTA team.