Intellectual Property Paralegal
Koch Companies Public Sector (KCPS), a subsidiary of Koch Industries, is seeking a creative and motivated Intellectual Property Paralegal to join the Koch Legal team, as a member of our integrated Intellectual Property Capability. At Koch, we offer opportunities for career growth at one of the largest, most financially stable companies in the world, at competitive pay and benefits. Koch companies employ more than 120,000 people across 60 countries, and include Molex, Georgia-Pacific, Guardian Industries, INVISTA, Koch Ag & Energy Solutions, Koch Engineered Solutions, Flint Hills Resources and Infor.
This role is an opportunity to join a dynamic and fast-paced legal team that supports a broad range of interesting and diverse global business and legal issues for all the Koch companies. A successful candidate will demonstrate initiative, the ability to work independently on complex projects with minimal direction, and work collaboratively as a team player with colleagues across Koch.
This role is open to candidates based in Atlanta, GA; Lisle, IL; Chicago, IL; Auburn Hills, MI; Wichita, KS; or Arlington, VA.
What You Will Do In Your Role
Provide the following support to the IP Capability and Koch’s global intellectual property portfolio:
- Oversee and manage, at the direction of Koch’s IP attorneys, the administration of Koch’s global patent, trademark, and/or copyright portfolios, including:
- engaging internal legal, technical, and business stakeholders to arrive at and effect critical decisions throughout the patent lifecycle
- reviewing products, websites, and software systems to make recommendations for copyright filings
- assisting attorneys in preparing cost reports for annual forecasts
- Support and research enforcement matters
- Work with attorneys to prepare and file documents with the USPTO, WIPO, and the U.S. Copyright Office to support all phases of IP prosecution, maintenance and renewals, including new patent/trademark/copyright applications and registrations, office action responses, recordals, assignments, declarations, ownership transfers, and related documents
- Communicate with outside counsel and KCPS team members to ensure accurate tracking of all deadlines, generate portfolio reports, manage docket reports, and conduct docket meetings with Koch IP attorneys and business clients
- Compile information for portfolio reviews, annuity payment decisions, maintenance filings, and renewals; correspond with vendors to request patent and trademark searches and process search results for attorney/stakeholder review
The Experience You Will Bring
- 3+ years of experience in Intellectual Property law
- Experience with U.S. and Foreign Patent, Trademark, and Copyright Office procedures, prosecution and maintenance
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional legal teams, business stakeholders and outside counsel’.
What Will Put You Ahead
- Associate’s degree or higher
- Experience with docketing and workflow systems (e.g., Memotech, First to File), document management systems and e-billing systems (e.g., SimpleLegal)
- Experience optimizing work processes and initiating transformation across area of assigned responsibility
- Prior in-house paralegal experience.
Our goal is for each employee, and their families, to live fulfilling and healthy lives. We provide essential resources and support to build and maintain physical, financial, and emotional strength - focusing on overall wellbeing so you can focus on what matters most. Our benefits plan includes - medical, dental, vision, flexible spending and health savings accounts, life insurance, ADD, disability, retirement, paid vacation/time off, educational assistance, and may also include infertility assistance, paid parental leave and adoption assistance. Specific eligibility criteria is set by the applicable Summary Plan Description, policy or guideline and benefits may vary by geographic region. If you have questions on what benefits apply to you, please speak to your recruiter.
At Koch companies, we are entrepreneurs. This means we openly challenge the status quo, find new ways to create value and get rewarded for our individual contributions. Any compensation range provided for a role is an estimate determined by available market data. The actual amount may be higher or lower than the range provided considering each candidate’s knowledge, skills, abilities, and geographic location. If you have questions, please speak to your recruiter about the flexibility and detail of our compensation philosophy.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf