At Georgia-Pacific's Technical Center in Neenah, WI, we are committed to meeting our customers’ needs with solutions that involve great design, consistent quality, and demonstrated customer value. We are currently seeking a Research Associate to serve as a Subject Matter Expert for tissuemaking wet end chemistry. This role is in Georgia-Pacific’s North American Consumer Products Research & Development Chemistry Platform. The Research Associate will develop process and functional chemistries to meet the needs of product development and operational partners. Along with internal development, the researcher will communicate GP needs to suppliers and seek to advance preferred partnerships with external companies through collaborative work. The individual will also innovate in the application and process variables that lead to improved productivity, quality, and/or cost-in-use of wet end additives. They will ensure that the production process is ramped up effectively and the end product meets customer standards. We seek creative and inventive individuals who can work independently and collaboratively as Principled Entrepreneurs™ to conceptualize and profitably translate ideas into successful marketplace options.
This role requires 25% travel.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Lead research projects to address operation’s needs, product development projects, and future need states of tissue-based consumer products
- Identify and proactively address problems by executing experiments that pursue new technology, analyze data with a creative and open-minded approach and communicate results to R&D management, external vendors, and mill operations in a timely and effective way
- Contribute to the development of Intellectual Property, including landscape investigation, invention disclosures and patent applications
- Support scale-up trials and troubleshooting within production facilities both remotely and by providing on-site assistance
- Manage multiple projects that include both internal development and external collaborations. Help to build preferred partnerships with external vendors.
- Provide mentorship to enhance individual capability and conduct group training to advance chemistry best practices more broadly throughout the organization
The Experience You Will Bring
- Bachelor’s in Paper Science, Chemistry, or Engineering and Five (5) or more years of industrial work in a papermaking or chemical R&D environment -OR- Advanced degree (M.S. or PhD) in Paper Science, Chemistry, or Engineering and two (2) or more years of industrial work in a papermaking or a chemical R&D environment
- Experience working in a Research & Development environment with demonstrated results independently leading research, developing new/creative solutions, and scaling up to commercialization
- Able to travel 25% of the time
What Will Put You Ahead
- Advanced degree (M.S. or PhD) in Paper Science, Chemistry, or Engineering and Five (5) or more years of industrial work in a papermaking or chemical R&D environment
- Experience and knowledge of the tissuemaking process
- Experience and knowledge of process and functional papermaking chemicals
- Experience in project management and team leadership
About the Neenah, WI Area:
Our facility is the Georgia-Pacific Innovation Institute® in Neenah, WI. Neenah is located in the heart of Northeast Wisconsin (also known as the Fox Valley) and is within driving distance to popular metro locations including Milwaukee, WI, Chicago, IL, Madison, WI and Green Bay, WI. The Fox Valley offers year-round recreation and attractions including 19 ski resorts within 100 miles, excellent shopping, and diversity in restaurants, music and nightlife. For families and nature lovers, the Fox Valley boasts a wealth of parks & wildlife refuges, excellent school districts, and other family-based activities. The area also has attractions such as the Fox Valley Performing Arts Center in Appleton, EAA in Oshkosh, along with great fishing and boating on local lakes, rivers and within driving distance to Lake Michigan. If you are sports fan, Lambeau field and Miller Park are within a short driving distance. Living in the Fox Valley provides the diversity and amenities of a larger city with a strong sense of community. We welcome you to explore what the Fox Valley could offer you!
Our goal is for each employee, and their families, to live fulfilling and healthy lives. We provide essential resources and support to build and maintain physical, financial, and emotional strength - focusing on overall wellbeing so you can focus on what matters most. Our benefits plan includes - medical, dental, vision, flexible spending and health savings accounts, life insurance, ADD, disability, retirement, paid vacation/time off, educational assistance, and may also include infertility assistance, paid parental leave and adoption assistance. Specific eligibility criteria is set by the applicable Summary Plan Description, policy or guideline and benefits may vary by geographic region. If you have questions on what benefits apply to you, please speak to your recruiter.
At Koch companies, we are entrepreneurs. This means we openly challenge the status quo, find new ways to create value and get rewarded for our individual contributions. Any compensation range provided for a role is an estimate determined by available market data. The actual amount may be higher or lower than the range provided considering each candidate’s knowledge, skills, abilities, and geographic location. If you have questions, please speak to your recruiter about the flexibility and detail of our compensation philosophy.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf