Application Engineer - Power System Analytics
Sentient Energy -a Koch Engineered Solutions company- is looking for distribution system application engineers to fulfill its newly created full-time positions within the Applied Power System Analytics team. This team is responsible for research, technology development, and solution delivery of analytics applications based on the synergistic use of digital grid data coupled with the state-of-the-art Artificial Intelligence and power system first principles. With the projected increase in utility IoT deployments and grid modernization programs, the amount of operational and non-operational data is growing exponentially. Deriving business value from these investments requires effective data pipelines and purposefully-built applications that must be integrated selectively into the overall grid automation and management ecosystem including ADMS/OMS/APM/DERMS/WFM etc.
As a candidate for this role, you are expected to bring your passion, experience, and entrepreneurial mindset at the intersection of data science and power systems with a solid mix of utility operations experience and subject matter expertise in distribution automation, asset management, and/or grid management. You will serve as a forward engineer and analytics translator interacting frequently with internal and external stakeholders, end customers, and innovation partners. As an integral member of the Applied Analytics team, you will work collaboratively with data scientists and data engineers across the company to help design, develop, translate, and deliver data-driven outcomes across a wide variety of use cases. As an analytics translator, you will play a key engineering liaison role in pre-sales and post-sales engagement activities with our global innovation partners, proactively identifying customer challenges and collaborating across engineering and project execution organizations to translate new ideas and results into analytics opportunities and outcomes, respectively. The Applied Analytics team harnesses the power of artificial intelligence and domain-based edge and cloud analytics to help solve digital grid problems, making energy accessible to everyone - one solution at a time! These solutions help our customers streamline operations, enhance system reliability and resiliency, increase safety, enable DER integration, and accelerate business transformation.
This position offers a unique and exciting opportunity to advance the state of the art in power distribution system analytics by bridging the gap between existing enterprise applications in the control room and emerging data-driven systems in the rapidly developing and highly visible electric utility space within the Green Energy sector. The innovation and creativity with which we develop and implement utility analytics solutions are among the distinctions that make Sentient Energy a leader in distribution system sensing, advanced analytics, and grid edge control.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Act as an engineering liaison between internal and external stakeholders, translate analytics results into business outcomes and help uncover and realize the value of advanced analytics solutions through technical demonstrations and regular cadence calls
- Define and develop internal tools and lifecycle management processes to achieve high quality outcomes, meeting or exceeding key success metrics
- Monitor and manage the performance and lifecycle maintenance of analytics solutions
- Assist customer success and delivery teams with engineering analysis and troubleshooting
- Help define and design new machine learning models and solutions collaboratively with data scientists and data engineers.
- Support the organization with thought-provoking ideas and new use cases that enhance customer value proposition for sensors and analytics
- Assist product engineering teams with validation and verification of end-to-end system performance
- Help analyze distribution system events and failure signatures to create continuously evolving labeled data sets for model development and testing
- Contribute to innovation partnership development initiatives and roadmap development
- Contribute to intellectual property development and company representation in technical conferences and trade shows
- Contribute to 3rd party funded R&D programs and initiatives
- Publish internal reports and external articles and white papers to showcase company success and advance the institutional knowledge
The Experience You Will Bring
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Electric Power, or technical field
- 5+ years of experience working in the utilities or energy industry
- Experience translating analytical/technical insights into valuable customer use cases
- Experience/knowledge of utility practices for fault and asset management, distribution automation, control room technologies, workflows, or pain points
- Experience with distribution system engineering practices, relevant IEEE/IEC standards, grounding practices, etc.
- Experience with utility automation systems and enterprise applications e.g. ADMS/SCADA, OMS, DERMS, APM, MDM, GIS, GMS
- Experience with data analytics workflows, development lifecycle, and performance metrics
What Will Put You Ahead
- Demonstrated proficiency with distribution system engineering principles, protection equipment, applications, and practices'
- Experience working in a grid modernization organization
- Working knowledge of Python libraries for application engineering, scripting and machine learning performance analysis
- Professional Engineer license
Our goal is for each employee, and their families, to live fulfilling and healthy lives. We provide essential resources and support to build and maintain physical, financial, and emotional strength - focusing on overall wellbeing so you can focus on what matters most. Our benefits plan includes - medical, dental, vision, flexible spending and health savings accounts, life insurance, ADD, disability, retirement, paid vacation/time off, educational assistance, and may also include infertility assistance, paid parental leave and adoption assistance. Specific eligibility criteria is set by the applicable Summary Plan Description, policy or guideline and benefits may vary by geographic region. If you have questions on what benefits apply to you, please speak to your recruiter.
At Koch companies, we are entrepreneurs. This means we openly challenge the status quo, find new ways to create value and get rewarded for our individual contributions. Any compensation range provided for a role is an estimate determined by available market data. The actual amount may be higher or lower than the range provided considering each candidate’s knowledge, skills, abilities, and geographic location. If you have questions, please speak to your recruiter about the flexibility and detail of our compensation philosophy.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com