Polymer Technician 1 (Process Control)
You have a long-term vision for your career. Isn’t it time you joined a company that thinks the same as you do? Continued company growth due to reinvestment of earnings so that we create long-term value for our customers, employees and society.
Want to learn more about the INVISTA experience? Watch this!
INVISTA Kingston Site currently has open Polymer Technician (Process Control) roles.
INVISTA is one of the world’s largest integrated producers of polymers and fibers, primarily for nylon, spandex and polyester applications. We deliver exceptional value for its customers through market insights, technological innovations and a powerful portfolio of global trademarks. We transform daily through innovation. At Kingston Site, we have over 700 employees who consistently strive for continuous improvement while embracing compliance and integrity.
A Day in the Life Typically Includes:
Polymer technicians must be able to work in a team environment, operate, maintain, and improve our continuous polymerization, processes, equipment, and facilities. Utilizing computerized control systems, as well as manual operation of equipment, the Technician trainee will learn to control the processing and flow of additives, nylon salt, and polymer. This entails monitoring and controlling equipment speeds, pressures, and temperatures to keep quality parameters on aim, prevent any potential EHS events and drive high uptime and yield. Duties include equipment shutdown, overhaul, cleaning, and start up including issuance of associated Safe Work Permits, as well as initiating maintenance notifications, and responding to material flow or utility disruptions, to ensure continuity of product supply to downstream assets.
Responsibilities include adherence to area standard operating procedures, procurement, measurement, and transfer of chemicals, documentation, and record keeping. There is a requirement to apply energy control procedures, and work from heights on ladders or platforms, which may require the use of a personal fall arrest system. The work can require confined space entry, working in areas of elevated temperatures, working outside in inclement weather, and wearing breathing apparatus and respirators. Manual handling of material in buggies, drums, bags, and on pallets is also a requirement. Individual and team troubleshooting and problem solving are an integral part of this assignment. Work schedules are normally 12 hour rotating shifts.
Engage in the necessary learning processes to acquire and apply the required knowledge and skills to perform effectively as a Polymer Technician 1, 2 & 3.
Process Control Technicians start in the Polymer Technician 1 classification which is part of a line of progression. It normally takes 3 years of training and experience to reach to top classification and rate of pay (Polymer Technician 3).
·Adhere to all plant environmental, health, and safety guidelines, policies and procedures
·Work in a team environment to operate, maintain, and improve our continuous polymerization, polymer remelt, batch polymer, and/or salt preparation processes, equipment, and facilities
·Adhere to area standard operating procedures, procurement, measurement, and transfer of chemicals, documentation, and record keeping
·Apply energy controls according to specified procedures as required
·Equipment shutdown, overhaul, cleaning, and start up including issuance of associated Safe Work Permits
·Monitors routine daily and weekly maintenance work schedules to prepare equipment and Work Permits in a timely manner to facilitate strict compliance to schedules
·Initiating maintenance notifications, and responding to material flow or utility disruptions, to ensure continuity of product supply to downstream assets
·Manual handling of material in buggies, drums, bags, and on pallets
·Individual and team troubleshooting and problem solving are an integral part of this assignment
What you get:
·Candidates hired for this job will be placed in the Polymer Technician 1 classification and expected to progress to level 2 and then 3 within set time frames. 2021 rates for these three classifications are as follows:
Polymer Technician 3
Polymer Technician 2
Polymer Technician 1
·Flexible benefits package
·Defined benefit pension plan
·Optional pension enhancements
·Performance bonus program
·Additional vacation purchase program
·Additional floating holidays
·Education Assistance Program for job related training
What we seek:
- Post-secondary education in Engineering or Instrumentation and Control or several years of relevant work experience
- Experience interacting and collaborating with multidisciplinary work groups (ie. maintenance, operations, technical, projects)
- Mechanical aptitude
- Experience interpreting data and applying attention to detail
- Multitasking among and within complex systems
- Ability to consistently contribute in a self-directed team environment
- Possess knowledge of or willingness to learn and use, computer systems and applications including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, SAP
- 3-5 years’ previous experience in a manufacturing environment
- Process control experience
- Problem solving experience
- Ability to work rotating, 12-hour work schedule that includes weekends and holidays, in a 24/7 unionized operation
- Ability to wear necessary personal protective equipment (safety glasses, ear plugs, hard hat, bump caps, gloves, long sleeves, steel toe boots, mask, etc.) with or without accommodation
- The work can require confined space entry, working in areas of elevated temperatures, working outside in inclement weather, and wearing breathing apparatus and respirators
- Work from heights on ladders or platforms, which may require the use of a personal fall arrest system
- Ability to work in a tobacco free environment
- Willingness to work in an industrial environment with varying temperatures and conditions
- Willingness to sign a confidentiality agreement as condition of employment
- Picture yourself at INVISTA and submit a detailed resume in English along with a covering letter to www.kochcareers.com
- Successful candidates will be required to complete a criminal background check.
- If you have the above qualifications, we would like to hear from you. We thank all applicants in advance, but please be advised that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity employer. If you require accommodation or assistance at any time during the application or selection processes, please submit a request by following the directions located at the bottom of the kochcareers.com webpage
What gives you an edge:
Our conditions of employment:
How to apply:
How to apply
Want to learn more about INVISTA?
You may know us by brand names like STAINMASTER® and CORDURA®. Our polymers and chemical intermediates are the foundation for many of the plastics you use every day, and our fibers can be found in many of the clothes you wear.
But you might also know us by another name: Koch Industries. Because, as a subsidiary of Koch since 2004, we’ve applied Market-Based Management® to our business to create value for not only our customers, but society as a whole – and continue to be a leader in many value chains, from intermediates to the ultimate consumer.