The Alabama River Cellulose Mill is seeking a talented Environmental Engineer. The individual selected will provide environmental leadership and strategic direction for environmental programs at the Alabama River Cellulose Mill through the application of Market Based Management® (MBM®) and Georgia-Pacific’s Guiding Principles. The person in this position will create real value for the organization by ensuring that environmental risks are identified and mitigated and by developing environmental strategies that are consistent with company/division environmental visions and strategies. Additionally, this person will drive environmental excellence and performance improvement through real culture change, by developing/utilizing effective, sustainable environmental management systems and by ensuring that facility leaders and employees are trained and equipped to manage environmental responsibilities. This position would currently report to the facility Environmental Manager. The ideal candidate must be able to embrace and lead change, possess strong interpersonal skills and strong verbal and written communication skills.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Responsible for the mill’s environmental management systems and compliance performance for assigned programs.
- This position is responsible for the oversight of the wastewater and water treatment operators.The operators will report directly to this position.
- Ensure completion of compliance related activities such as NPDES sampling/reporting for Discharge Monitoring Reports (DMRs), Laboratory quality assurance reporting, and other reporting necessitated through state, federal, and internal Georgia Pacific standards.
- Oversee operation and maintenance activities surrounding the wastewater treatment facility and ensure compliance with the facility’s NPDES permit and internal Georgia Pacific Water Compliance Standards
- Evaluate operations of the wastewater treatment system and mill water treatment systems to ensure required maintenance activities to ensure compliance with associated permit requirements and continuous reliable operation of equipment is completed. This position will coordinate with maintenance planners to ensure that maintenance activities are planned and executed successfully.
- Ensure all regulatory compliance obligations are fulfilled.
- Apply subject matter expertise and excellent communication skills to independently and objectively help the “on shift” operations teams meet environmental compliance requirements.
- Analyze data and evaluate current performance and trends.
- Plan and lead self-assessments to identify opportunities to improve compliance demonstrations.
- Systematically drive mill environmental program to be more effective, consistent, verifiable, and efficient (structured and principled vs rule based).
- Develop and own an evergreen point of view of the mill’s environmental risks, priorities, and key issues. Develop and implement improvement plans to advance the mill’s environmental position.
- Ensure systems (tools/methods) to assess facility compliance status are implemented, tracked, and modified as necessary.
- Proactively increase knowledge of current and emerging federal, state, and local environmental regulatory requirements affecting mill operations.
- Lead effective environmental incident investigations and root cause analyses
The Experience You Will Bring
- B.S. Degree or higher in Engineering, Environmental Sciences, or Pulp & Paper
- Experience leading people or projects
- 2+ years environmental experience in manufacturing or industrial setting
What Will Put You Ahead
- Experience in industrial wastewater treatment operations and compliance
- Experience in leading environmental program in a large manufacturing environment
- Experience with developing and improving management systems
- Experience with improving performance
- Pulp and paper process and regulatory knowledge
Our goal is for each employee, and their families, to live fulfilling and healthy lives. We provide essential resources and support to build and maintain physical, financial, and emotional strength - focusing on overall wellbeing so you can focus on what matters most. Our benefits plan includes - medical, dental, vision, flexible spending and health savings accounts, life insurance, ADD, disability, retirement, paid vacation/time off, educational assistance, and may also include infertility assistance, paid parental leave and adoption assistance. Specific eligibility criteria is set by the applicable Summary Plan Description, policy or guideline and benefits may vary by geographic region. If you have questions on what benefits apply to you, please speak to your recruiter.
At Koch companies, we are entrepreneurs. This means we openly challenge the status quo, find new ways to create value and get rewarded for our individual contributions. Any compensation range provided for a role is an estimate determined by available market data. The actual amount may be higher or lower than the range provided considering each candidate’s knowledge, skills, abilities, and geographic location. If you have questions, please speak to your recruiter about the flexibility and detail of our compensation philosophy.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com