Process Safety Engineer
Georgia-Pacific is seeking a Process Safety Engineer that is a self-motivated and driven individual for our opening at our Brewton Containerboard facility in Brewton, AL. The selected individual will drive and support value-based strategies, provide technical direction, and influence leadership for process safety.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Providing process safety influential leadership for the site, working with a peer process safety engineer, providing specific focus to ensure that mill process safety systems reduce risk and assure compliance
- Fostering process safety ownership within the organization through leadership, coordination, and coaching in keeping with risk-based process safety and Market-Based Management (MBM®)
- Providing routine communication to mill management regarding process safety issues impacting the mill
- Facilitating process safety ownership by the line organization through integration of the S&H Management System
- Serving as a mentor for technical and hourly employees to make process safety an everyday mission for continuous improvement in daily operations
- Assisting leadership with the development of short and long-term process safety objectives, targets, strategies, and measures that prioritize and mitigate risks
- Ensuring management systems effectively address the facility’s Process Safety (PS) risk profile and aligning PS strategy according to the Facility S&H plan
- Providing technical direction to achieve the Process Safety vision using both new and existing management systems
- Leading risk assessments at the facility for anticipating, identifying, and evaluating hazards as well as more formal PHAs
- Applying the principles of Process Safety Competency to make process safety an operating discipline within all affected roles at the mill
- Partnering with corporate process safety and compliance IT groups to develop and improve training, tools, and policies that support the mill
- Providing analysis of process safety incidents and near misses to assure sustainable corrective actions are implemented
- Reviewing training systems for effectiveness and making recommendations for improvement
- Ensuring and providing metrics to monitor process safety compliance
- Reviewing and validating of the following: process equipment design specifications, safeguard specifications, and operating procedures
- Providing either leadership and/or technical guidance for process hazard analyses (PHA), management of change (MOC), and pre-startup safety reviews (PSSR)
- Leading process incident investigations and developing effective corrective actions to prevent recurrence
- Providing oversight for the mill's process safety information including: P&ID's, PFD's, chemical compatibility matrix, etc.
The Experience You Will Bring
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in chemical, mechanical engineering, or other engineering or technical field
- Two (2) or more years of experience in a process engineering, mechanical integrity, or reliability role within a PSM regulated operation
- Experience and working knowledge of Process Safety regulations, specifically 29 CFR 1910.119 and 40 CFR 68
- Experience with Process Hazard Analysis (PHA), management of change (MOC), and pre-startup safety reviews (PSSR)
What Will Put You Ahead
- Supervisory experience within a chemical, petrochemical, or pulp/paper mill in operations, technical, or mechanical integrity role
- Five (5) or more years of experience in a process safety role or equivalent engineering experience within a PSM regulated operation
- Five (5) or more years process safety experience specific to manufacturing
- Professional Engineer (PE), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) or equivalent certifications
- Experience in the pulp & paper industry
- Experience and knowledge of how manufacturing processes work and basic equipment operation within the processes
Salary and Benefits Commensurate with Experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf