Facility Safety Manager - Lumber
Georgia-Pacific is seeking a Facility Safety Manager to provide leadership and presence at our lumber mill in Rome, Georgia. The Safety Manager provides leadership and strategic direction by building a partnership with front-line leadership and collaborating with business partners. As an ambassador of Georgia-Pacific's culture and vision, the Safety Manager will develop and mentor the team while fostering a culture of safety and sustainability. You will facilitate team engagement through training and employee empowerment. This position reports directly to the Plant Manager, with a dotted-line reporting relationship to the Division Health & Safety Manager.
Georgia-Pacific produces Southern Pine dimension lumber, the workhorse of the building industry. It is an affordable, strong, durable softwood that is excellent for pressure treating, light frame construction, general utility framing, studs, pallets, crafting, and floor and roof trusses. Georgia-Pacific employees strive for safety and health excellence while achieving an injury-free workplace. Learn more at buildgp.com.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Lead to achieve the health and safety (H&S) vision by establishing and executing strategies through management commitment and employee ownership & accountability
- Facilitate health and safety (H&S) ownership and accountability through the line organization by establishing clearly defined roles, responsibilities, and expectations
- Foster an employee-driven safety ownership program and culture
- Coach employees on GP’s culture and Guiding Principles to aid in the teams’ understanding, acceptance, and use of the challenge process and decision rights
- Contribute to the selection, onboarding, and development of talent, resulting in continuous site-wide alignment with safety
- Manage employee injuries and worker’s compensation
- Build employee relationships and advance safety knowledge and hazard mitigation through coaching, mentoring, training, and employee engagement/empowerment
- Drive H&S excellence by developing and implementing risk and compliance management systems
- Effectively communicate the facility safety vision, strategies, and performance to internal and external stakeholders
The Experience You Will Bring
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in safety, industrial hygiene, behavioral science, or engineering related field
- Three (3) or more years of safety experience in an industrial, manufacturing, or chemical process environment or completion of Georgia-Pacific’s ELP Program
- Experience in hands-on training and presentations
- Experience in industrial safety leadership
- Experience with OSHA, state, and local safety and compliance standards
What Will Put You Ahead
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Certified Industrial Hygiene (CIH) or progress towards achieving certification(s)
- Experience in behavior-based safety management
- Experience in workers’ compensation
- Experience working in building products
- Experience onboarding and developing employees, helping to foster a safety-driven culture
- Experience in leading a site to improved safety and performance
Salary and Benefits Commensurate with Experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf