Safety and Health Coordinator
''Innovation is facilitated by having the right people in the right roles with the right skills and values.''
- Charles Koch, Koch Industries Chairman and CEO
Georgia-Pacific’s Lufkin, TX Chemical facility is seeking a qualified individual to join our team as Safety & Health (S&H) Coordinator. If you aspire to contribute in a stimulating environment and drive safety & health performance and compliance for the chemical industry, we are interested in learning more about you! While this position is not a supervisory role, it is a leadership role in the plant and you will be responsible for managing our chemical plant’s safety & health processes.
S&H Coordinators create value by ensuring risk is aggressively identified and mitigated, facilitating S&H strategies that are consistent with company safety visions, and developing and implementing effective and sustainable management systems (including Process Safety Management (PSM) and Chemical Process Safety (CPS) management systems). S&H Coordinators drive safety excellence and performance improvement through culture change by coaching and developing the facility team. This position reports to the Facility Manager. To learn more about Georgia Pacific’s chemical division, please visit:
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Communicating company and division Safety & Health vision, expectations, strategies, and initiatives to assigned facility personnel
- Ensuring the facility has prioritized (risk-based), actionable strategies and that effective metrics are utilized to monitor progress and performance
- Challenging and coaching facility personnel on current safety concepts, commitment, ownership, risk tolerance, practices, and conditions;
- Acting as a safety champion, leader and mentor to assure team understanding and buy-in through observation, questioning, and discussion
- Coaching, developing, and evaluating performance of facility personnel identified as compliance standard owners in areas of risk and compliance decision-making, management system development/improvement, and project management
- Developing and using risk assessment methods and tools for anticipating, identifying, and evaluating hazards. Managing and assisting with the mitigation of identified gaps, weaknesses, and improvement opportunities
- Assessing and improving employee ability to identify and manage risk, and to flawlessly execute critical safe work practices
- Managing processes in place to effectively meet compliance requirements
- Facilitating the development and use of effective training, change management, incident investigation, and self-assessment processes
- Possessing a working knowledge of OSHA standards and knowledge of PSM, RMP, and the 14 elements of PSM.
- Seeking out and facilitate knowledge sharing opportunities (e.g., risks, best practices, common audit findings, lessons learned); foster peer communication and interaction between groups
- Managing, tracking, and reporting issues, initiatives/projects, incidents, assessments/audits, and safety performance for facility
The Experience You Will Bring
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering, Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or any technical field degree OR Five (5) or more years working experience in a plant safety & health role with a focus on OSHA standards / regulations, process safety management.
What Will Put You Ahead
- Working knowledge of OSHA’s health and safety regulations
- CSP or CIH, or demonstrated progress towards achieving certification
- Experience leading culture change and developing/implementing safety management systems
- Experience in managing a PSM-covered process
- Formal PHA training or experience leading PHA sessions
Salary and Benefits Commensurate with Experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf