Automation & Robotics Engineer
Georgia-Pacific is seeking an Automation & Robotics Engineer to join our Technology Solutions Group in Atlanta, GA. As a member of the team, the Automation & Robotics Engineer works within many areas of the company including application conceptualization, project development, and production engineering. This is a dynamic role that takes opportunities in Georgia Pacific’s manufacturing facilities and develops innovative automation & robotics solutions and tests them in a lab environment and then roles those proven solutions across the enterprise. The Automation & Robotics Engineer also performs field service support as required for the solutions they implement. This role will report to the Sr. Lab Manager Automation & Robotics COE.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Defining opportunities to develop and deploy custom robotics, machine design concepts and computer vision solutions in GP’s Autonomous Technology Lab in Atlanta to solve complex manufacturing problems.
- Developing innovative equipment designs for new and existing equipment.
- Creating/developing improvement ideas to make the team and company more efficient.
- Visiting sites and defining automation opportunities
- Working with different operations and manufacturing leaders, engineers and vendors to determine optimal solutions for automating their applications.
- Creating performance-based specifications to supply to integrators to solve automation problems.
- Continually learning and researching new technologies and incorporating them into automated design and robotics, in both a controls and programming capacity.
- Programming and testing robots in real life manufacturing situations
- Developing and modifying PLC and HMI programs. Developing computer vision programs.
- Developing robotic path motions to maximize efficiency, safety and quality for our customers.
- Providing support for equipment set up and debugging of equipment in field.
- Identify, understand, and troubleshoot mechanical issues. Performing preventive or corrective maintenance on robotic systems and components.
- Training internal GP customers to use and maintain systems.
The Experience You Will Bring
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Engineering or Computer Science
- 3 or more years of professional experience working with the development and implementation of automation, robotic simulation, advanced vision systems, electrical design, programming, schematics, control system integration, repair and analysis of electrical applications of automated machinery, product/material handling equipment, packaging and conveyor systems
- Programming (PLC, Robot, Python & C++) experience
- Able to travel at least 60%
What Will Put You Ahead
- Project Justification experience IRR & NPV
- Deep Learning Computer Vision (TensorFlow or Pytorch) experience
- 3D LIDAR sensors & Point Cloud processing experience
- Thermal/IR image processing experience
- Mobile robot navigation and path planning experience
Salary and Benefits Commensurate with Experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf