Georgia-Pacific Gypsum, LLC has an immediate need for an experienced Lab Technician to join our team at the Savannah, Georgia gypsum manufacturing facility. Selection will be based on a series of assessments, as well as a MBM® interview. The selected candidate will be responsible for performing all phases of Georgia-Pacific Gypsum, LLC Quality Assurance program in the gypsum manufacturing facility. This is a highly skilled, hourly position requiring a thorough understanding of Safe Work Practices, troubleshooting, and operating laboratory and manufacturing equipment and processes. All candidates should be team-oriented, self-motivated, organized, and actively participate to promote a safe working environment. Additionally, the selected candidate must possess an entrepreneurial spirit for long-term continuous improvements, both personally and for the company.
The Lab Technician should be flexible and able to work overtime and a variety of shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays. The Savannah Gypsum facility is an industrial environment which at times is hot, humid, cold, and noisy. The Lab Technician lifts up to 50 pounds routinely and stands for extended periods of time. Bending, twisting, and stretching are attributes of the role. The position requires wearing personal protective equipment (i.e. safety glasses, ear plugs, and hard hat to name a few).
Georgia-Pacific creates long-term value by using resources efficiently to provide innovative products and solutions that meet the needs of customers and society, while operating in a manner that is environmentally and socially responsible, and economically sound. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia-Pacific is one of the world's leading manufacturers and marketers of building products, tissue, packaging, paper, cellulose and related chemicals. The company employs more than 30,000 people at approximately 300 locations in North and South America.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Perform all tasks in a safe and compliant manner with customer focus and value creation in mind.
- Complete task assigned proficiently without direct supervision respecting co-workers and supervisors in every department.
- Assist in the development of processes to manage product quality and continuous improvement.
- Responsible for the pre-testing of raw materials and assisting with plant and divisional trials.
- Perform testing on manufactured finished products and record test data in the plants Quality Database System.
- Must be detail oriented as the lab tests require precision and the specification ranges of products have very close tolerances.
- Ensure that production conforms with GP’s Quality Assurance programs and to external 3rd party certification programs i.e. (UL, Factory Mutual, ICC-ES, Intertek, etc.)
- Candidate may also chair Quality Committee meetings and perform inspections of finished products in the warehouse.
- The Lab Technician must have a good safety and attendance record, work as part of a team and be willing to work overtime or take call outs in order to service the needs of the business.
- Perform housekeeping duties and be able to perform other work as required.
- Assist in the development of knowledge processes and systems for non-conforming production.
- Demonstrate reading and comprehension skills in performing Standard Test Procedures
- Communicate customer needs and train employees performing STP’s to ensure data is accurately reported.
- Maintain product test equipment and process raw material calibration logs.
- Knowledgeable of GP’s Quality Assurance program and Gypsum Quality Management System.
The Experience You Will Bring
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in manufacturing
- Perform basic math/calculations with a sound understanding of decimals, fractions, percentages
- Proficient in reading a tape measure.
- Must be able to conduct routine and repetitive tests at rapid intervals.
- Communication, planning, and organizational skills
- Demonstrate computer skills proficient in Microsoft Office products such as Excel / Word
- Maintain strict adherence to safety rules and regulations
What Will Put You Ahead
- Associates degree or 3 years’ experience in a quality lab or related field.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in gypsum wallboard manufacturing facility
- Experience working with and performing equipment calibration for a Quality Assurance lab
- Strong math skills and proficient in Microsoft Office in its use and entry of data
- A good general knowledge of gypsum wallboard manufacturing process and applications is a plus
- Data collection and statistical analysis is a plus
Salary and Benefits Commensurate with Experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf