Product Cost Engineer
Genesis Robotics & Motion Technologies – Product Cost EngineerLangley, BC (remote work within Canada possible)
At Genesis (GRMT), there is no such thing as a dull moment. The path we are on is full of excitement, energy and exploring new frontiers. Picture having your own front row seat to the robotics revolution and the future of motion technologies. This is the journey Genesis has traveled since the company’s inception. The best part? We are just getting started.
As we move towards our upcoming market launch, we are seeking an experienced Product Cost Engineer to lead our cost optimization efforts across all GRMT product lines, to maximize our value creation for our customers. You will provide subject matter expertise for creating decision-making framework and models for cost estimation and projection, including Design-for-Manufacturing-and-Assembly considerations.
You will work cross-functionally, with Program Management, Product Development, and Manufacturing, for example, and be accountability for the product cost targets in New Product Introduction.
Other parts of your role include owning the cost estimation process to support business case and stage gate reviews, sharing your product costing and optimization knowledge with internal stakeholders, and working with those stakeholders to balance commercial, design, and manufacturing objectives.
The ideal candidate will have a strong Entrepreneurial mindset, along with superior interpersonal skills and ability to influence cross-functionally.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Establish a strategic view of how cost can be eliminated from our products, including design changes, manufacturing process improvements/changes, and assembly improvements; support a closed-loop DFMA process within Genesis
- Develop decision making tools based on marginal value of capital, manufacturing, material, and labor investment opportunities
- Create and own product cost model that feeds into the NPI process Actively support Program/Projects throughout the NPI process – accountability for product cost targets in business case development and stage gate reviews
- Understand cost impact of design trade-offs early in the product life cycle; lead Make vs. Buy analyses for critical components
- Measure, quantify, and make cost drivers visible
- Lead optimization of material selection, tolerances, labor, capital, and fixed overhead – cost/volume curve
- Validate that manufacturing processes are suited for achieving cost optimization and product quality
- Cost and analyze planned design process waste and unplanned production process waste
- Define path towards achieving cost effective product design
- Custodian of standard components for products
The Experience You Will Bring
- 5+ years experience in Cost Engineering, Product Engineering, Design-For-Manufacturing-and-Assembly or related field
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or related engineering discipline
- Experience in a product manufacturing environment
- Stellar communication and presentation skills
- Strong ability to influence cross-functionally without direct authority
- Entrepreneurial mindset; able to recognize opportunities and needs, then develop solutions with cross-functional stakeholders
- Ability and flexibility to transform style and approaches based on the audience and/or feedback
- Proactive and driven in approaching challenges, with a discovery/exploration and solution-oriented mindset; actively seek input and knowledge from stakeholders
- Strong proficiency in MS Office 365; advanced Excel
- Remote work within Canada is an option but up to 50% travel to Langley/Vancouver is required
What Will Put You Ahead:
- Knowledge of automated optimization models and cost analysis tools (e.g. aPriori or Boothroyd & Dewhurst DFM tool)
- Certification from the Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering or the Society of Cost Estimating and Analysis
- Electro-mechanical component product development and manufacturing experience
- Experience with electro-mechanical assemblies
- Experience with machining, injection molding, extrusion, casting, stamping, automation, and other mass manufacturing techniques
Who is Genesis Robotics?
Genesis Robotics & Motion Technologies develops and commercializes innovative actuation technologies, including electric motors and gears, for robotics and other end markets. Our core patented product is a high-torque direct drive robotic actuator – the LiveDrive™. The LiveDrive™, along with a growing portfolio of other motion technologies, will power the world’s fastest, safest, and most versatile robots.
Located in Langley, British Columbia, our rapidly growing team is currently made up of 100+ individuals with diverse skillsets: PhD engineers, designers, physicists, mathematicians, highly skilled machinists and fabricators, and business development and sales professionals.
As a part of the Koch family, we are able to leverage the capabilities and strength of one of the world’s largest private companies as we look to bring our technologies to the world.
Learn about the Humans of Genesis on our LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/genesis-robotics
See more at our website: http://www.genesis-robotics.com/ and on our Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD5azmfUwUcfAvJn8jl1_eg