Georgia-Pacific is seeking a Safety Specialist to support safety programs in our Monticello, MS Paper Mill. The Safety Specialist work to enhance the Mills capability in the development and implementation of fundamental safety programs. Fundamental safety programs include, but are not limited to: Confined Space Entry, Emergency Response, Electrical Safe Work Practices, Lock-Tag-Verify, Fall Protection, Line Break Equipment Opening, Incident Investigation, Mobile Equipment, Personal Protective Equipment, and Save My Life.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Assist in the development and delivery of regulatory and company required training
- Provide a visible safety presence in the field with operations, maintenance, and contract work groups
- Serve as subject matter expert for large and small mill projects, ensuring compliance with all applicable safety requirements and applying prevention through design (PtD) principles
- Participate in risk assessments, building knowledge and capability throughout the organization
- Participate in incident investigations, enhancing capability throughout the organization to conduct effective investigations that focus on learning and improving our capacity to fail safely
- Provide support to the development of our Facility Risk Assessment (FRA) and Department Risk Assessment (DRA) process
- Coach and mentor personnel to facilitate ownership of safety at all levels of the organization
- Provide leadership to mill safety committees and compliance system owners (CSOs) to ensure maximum value creation
The Experience You Will Bring
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Safety & Health, Industrial Hygiene, Engineering, or related field OR three (3) or more years in a safety-related role in an industrial/manufacturing facility
- Experience and working knowledge of OSHA 29 CFR 1910, 1926
- Experience using and applying effective Safety Management Systems
- Experience developing regulatory compliance programs and training
- Experience in occupational safety management and ability to apply and achieve demonstrated results
What Will Put You Ahead
- Associate Safety Professional (ASP), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), or equivalent certification
- Five or more years in a safety leadership type role at an industrial/manufacturing facility
- Experience in manufacturing, pulp and paper, or chemical facility
- Experience with effective injury case management and return to work
- Demonstrated ability to establish sustainable systems for compliance and continuous improvement
- Experience in contractor safety management, and outage/turnaround safety coordination
- Foundational knowledge of both process safety management and occupational safety management and ability to apply and achieve demonstrated results
Georgia Pacific’s paper mill in Monticello, MS has been in operation since 1968, and employs 450 employees. The Monticello mill has the capability to produce over 1,000,000 tons of containerboard each year. It is located in central Mississippi about 65 miles from Hattiesburg, MS and is one hour from the capital city of Jackson, MS. To learn more about the Georgia-Pacific Packaging business check outwww.gppackaging.com/containerboard
Salary and Benefits Commensurate with Experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf