Reporting to the Process Control Leader, the Automation Engineer is an integral part of the Process Control Team at INVISTA Kingston site supporting robotics, PLC, and manufacturing systems. The role’s primary focus is to bring expert knowledge to our operation regarding PLC and control systems, wireless infrastructure/controls, robotics, controllers, and camera systems. The incumbent will have the opportunity to demonstrate and develop strong ownership, critical thinking, and troubleshooting skills.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Implement manufacturing control system applications (PLC and/or PC based) to meet project functional requirements
- Design and integrate hardware and software components with electrical and mechanical systems, e.g., robots, AGVs, sensors, vision systems, etc.
- Collaborate with Operations, IT, and Maintenance teams to design/support and implement highly efficient manufacturing solutions
- Bring best practice knowledge on the implementation of automated manufacturing solutions, plant of the future, industrial wireless communications, and internet of things (IoT)
- Training of plant personnel on machine operation, HMI design, and programming
- Reverse-engineer application software related to manufacturing control systems to relieve dependency on external vendors
- Design input and cost estimation for capital equipment and automation projects related to the advancement of automation in the manufacturing space
- Provide oversight and direction to vendors and third-party integrators/providers for implementations and upgrades within the automation space related to manufacturing
The Experience You Will Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- 3+ years of industry experience working within a manufacturing/process environment
- Experience with various vendor PLC and HMI systems (ex: Rockwell, Siemens, etc.)
- Ability to work outside of normal hours as needed to support business requirements (occasional evenings, weekends or call-outs)
What Will Put You Ahead
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Automation, or Computer Engineering
- Experience with implementing Wonderware MES, Bailey Infi90, and ABB 800xA DCS
- Knowledge and experience interfacing with production data historian systems such as OSIsoft PI
- Experience with automated manufacturing systems (ex: conveyors, tables, AGV’s, etc.), robotics (Fanuc), vision system
- Experience with industrial wireless technologies and implementation best practices
- Knowledge of industrial protocols related to control systems such as Modbus RTU/TCP, OPC, etc.