Molex is seeking an experienced hardware Firmware Engineer who will be responsible for the design, documentation and release of gas sensing products for the industrial and industrial IOT market. The candidate will work individually as well as with teams in office, lab, and industrial settings and may need to work directly with customers to capture and document requirements. Previous experience in sensor related fields is required.
There will be a 25% domestic travel requirement for a successful candidate located in the Chicago area.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Serve as the Firmware/Electrical Engineer for gas sensor able to develop complex electrical systems using programmable electronic components and products.
- Be a results-oriented self-starter who holds one’s self accountable for performance and excels in a fast-paced team-based environment.
- Develop, test, and document MCU, ARM, PC, and mobile applications with a focus on industrial IOT applications.
- Design full embedded solutions including bootloaders, vectored interrupts, power saving modes, in-circuit emulators and device level protocols, and use wireless and wired communication to communicate with other devices in an M2M environment.
- Program and troubleshoot embedded systems and other PCB level controllers using C/C++ and a variety of IDEs for different processors. Schematic analysis and evaluation of electronic properties required to improve gas sensor technical performance.
- Work collaboratively with other Engineers in the Distributed Sensors Group to research gas sensor applications to screen opportunities, define, design, and verify products. Candidate will be required to see designs through analysis of manufacturing readiness, qualification, and release.
- Work collaboratively with other Engineers in the Distributed Sensors Group to maintain commonality across gas, temperature and other sensor families if possible.
- Work closely with remote software team to send data to local or remote databases using the MQTT protocol.
- Work with Electrical Engineers and/or consultants to design PCBs, assemblies, and systems supporting the IIOT sensor team.
- Direct the manufacture of new products and design test interfaces for verification and validation testing, quality inspection team, and production team.
- Lead the field applications engineers in the installation the gas sensor system by providing whatever remote assistance required.
- Work in a team-based environment to determine and document engineering requirements, timelines, project plans, design verification schedules and test plans.
- Help guide and train other resources like project engineers and technicians to carry out testing, design verification testing, etc.
- Lead the testing of products for certifications and compliance (e.g. UL/ETL, FCC, IC, CSA, CE, ATEX, etc.).
- Assist project engineers, other resources, and customers with field testing of newly released products for industrial environments and applications.
- Some travel required, especially to potential field application sites.
- Understand, support and comply with current Molex policies and practices related business programs. Including but not limited to government regulations, International Standards Organization (ISO) and Environmental, and/or Health and Safety (EH&S), Six Sigma & Lean Manufacturing, Total Quality Management (TQM), and Management Systems.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management
The Experience You Will Bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science or related field.
- Must have proven experience designing embedded code that has gone through production, test, and release.
- Minimum 5-7+ years of experience developing embedded mixed signal systems and products for industrial and commercial applications.
- Prior experience with firmware design of sensor measurement, test, and calibration routines.
- Prior development of battery powered devices, including use of low power modes for embedded electronics and experience carrying out power budget analysis.
- Prior experience implementing and interfacing to peripherals including ADCs, Flash EEPROMS and LCD displays, using UART, SPI, I2C and GPIO with various microcontrollers (ARM, MSP430, and 8051 preferred).
- Skilled with test equipment including logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, signal generators, network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, impedance analyzers, etc.
- Experience leading design and manufacturing process while considering customer requirements, labor and BOM cost, and manufacturing and development capacity.
- General project management skills including project planning, scheduling, and coordinating through design, prototyping, testing and manufacturing support.
- Strong written and verbal English language communication skills Proficiency using Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint
What Will Put You Ahead
- Experience communicating with wireless radio modules using AT commands and/or library functions using wireless protocols like Wireless HART, Wi-Fi, Zig-Bee, BLE, ISA100, or cellular (LTE).
- Experience with JSON, RESTful API, Python, Java, SQL and noSQL databases.
- Proficiency with Android and/or iOS programming.
- Experience with single board computers, including the Raspberry Pi.
- Prior experience with industrial communication protocols including Modbus, HART, Profinet, etc.
- General RF design experience. Proficiency with Linux.
Salary and Benefits Commensurate with Experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf