Capital Project Manager (Civil Engineer)
This job posting is no longer active.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Capital Project Manager (Civil Engineer) to join our team in Big Island, VA. The Capital Project Manager reports directly to the mill's Engineering Leader and will serve as the Subject Matter Expert for projects involving civil and structural design and construction. The role is largely self-directed and will require minimal travel.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Lead a multi-discipline team of subject matter experts (SME) and resources in the development and successful implementation of a project
- Identify those subject matter experts that are needed on project team
- Provide periodic reports to stakeholders on project progress and issues
- Facilitate project kick-off meetings, review meetings, and establish agendas
- Assist in developing Venture Summary Write-ups (VSW’s) for the purpose of gaining approval of capital funding
- Assist in presenting completed VSW’s at each phase completion to key stakeholders for discussion and approval
- Vet, coordinate, and track progress of all team resources
- Act as the contract requester, coordinator, and invoice approver for project engineering and construction contracts
- Develop and manage the project scope, schedule, estimate, and risk management plan
- Engage appropriate Georgia Pacific corporate capability groups (legal, project group, risk management, engineering etc.)
- Develop monthly project spend projections (forecasts)
- Actively maintain, review, update, and communicate a project issues list (action register) to address issues, concerns, and items that require resolution
- Utilize strategic thinking skills and motivational approach to guide teams through challenges
- Utilize solid interpersonal skills to effectively facilitate team meetings
- Act as SME for mill projects involving civil and structural design and construction
- Act as SME for mill infrastructure including buildings, underground sewers, and bridges
The Experience You Will Bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering
- Five (5) years of experience as a Civil/Structural design engineer OR Five (5) years of experience as a Construction Manager, Project Engineer, and/or Project Manager in a heavy industrial environment
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Project
What Will Put You Ahead
- Large capital project management experience with budgets up to $5 million
- Experience in the paper industry
- Experience with earth work construction for buildings, landfill, borrow sites, storm detention and/or ponds
- Experience surveying and working with surveyors
- Experience working with county personnel in setting up plan reviews, acquiring permits, and/or zoning items
- Experience working with real estate records and/or plats
The Big Island Paper Mill
The mill produces the paper used to make boxes. Half of the production is made from 100% recycle fiber and the other half uses about 25% recycle fiber. In 2015, a $50 million upgrade enabled the production of a higher return product. The mill employs about 330 people; about 90 are salaried, of which many are degreed engineers. The engineering department consists of Project (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical), Process (Paper Science/Chem E), and Process Controls (Electrical, Chem E) engineers. To learn more about Georgia-Pacific’s packaging business please visit: www.gppackaging.com and view the video How Paper Is Made!
About the Big Island, VA Area
Mill employees live in many of the surrounding areas including Lynchburg, Bedford, Amherst County, and Big Island. The Blue Ridge Mountains, James River, and Smith Mountain Lake provide some of the best outdoor recreation in the U.S. You can drive to the Virginia and North Carolina coasts within 5 hours. There are two airports within a one-hour drive. Area schools are excellent. Two ACC schools, University of Virginia and Virginia Tech, are within 2-hour’s drive. Lynchburg is home to Liberty University, University of Lynchburg, and Randolph College.
Salary and Benefits Commensurate with Experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf
This job posting is no longer active.