Supplier Development Engineer
Guardian company, is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of Float Glass and Coated Glass with a manufacturing presence in major world regions including North America, Western and Central Europe The Middle East and Asia. Guardian is headquartered in Auburn Hills, Michigan. Through its Science and Technology Center in Carleton, MI, Guardian works to enhance and develop new product offerings for its many customers around the world. Guardian’s focus is on world class operations, developing innovative products and processes that create value for our customers and consumers and create a positive impact in our environment and society.
What You Will Do In Your Role
As a Supplier Development Engineer for the Strategic Sourcing and Procurement (SS&P) group you will be responsible for driving improvement within our supply base to support overall SS&P objectives relative to the total cost of ownership. To accomplish this, you will use a combination of business driven objectives and supplier quality performance metrics to drive supplier engagement focused on creating the greatest value for the organization. You will Facilitate and assist in the implementation of receiving inspection best practices across the Guardian plants focusing on the Guardian facilities located in the AMEIA region. You will also be responsible for managing ongoing supplier development activities which include the management of change process for the float glass plants, developing underperforming suppliers, and looking at Value Analysis/Value Engineering opportunities as part of supplier site audits to achieve our business objectives. You will also travel to and audit potential suppliers and work with advanced development partners on new products and processes.
The ideal candidate will possess the skills and knowledge sought below but, of equal importance, he or she will be self-motivated, possess a positive attitude, and be a creative thinker always striving towards finding ways to create greater value for the organization. This is a “hands-on” position that will work across the organization. Working effectively with cross-functional teams is crucial for success.
The Experience You Will Bring
- 4+ years of experience in Quality or Process Engineering
B.S. Degree in a related business or technical discipline
Experience in the glass making process is a plus
Demonstrable experience in problem solving techniques as 8D, 5 Why, Ishikawa diagrams.
Training and Certification in auditing principles and discipline is a plus
Multi-lingual capability’s, is a plus
Certifications for auditing or Quality discipline such as ASQ CQA, CQE or Certified Manager of Operational Excellence is a plus
Ability to travel local/National minimum 2-3 times per month including periodic International travel
What Will Put You Ahead
- Drive improvement within Guardian’s supply base using the Guardian auditing format
- Work with suppliers to ensure flawless new product/process launches at the required volume rate, applying sound quality methodologies.
- Conduct Quality System Audits on potential suppliers using Guardian’s auditing format and approach
- Conduct Process Audits on current suppliers using a Guardian’s auditing format and approach
- Develop improvement plans with selected suppliers and verify execution and closure of action plans with a focus on measurable improvements.
- Vet new technology partners and provide development as needed
- Assist Guardian plants with issues that arises from sub-suppliers including problem resolution using disciplines such as 8D, 5Why, Ishikawa Diagrams as problem solving techniques. Perform onsite verification as required.
- Verify before closure of any sub-supplier issues any appropriate costs to Guardian are recovered.
- Assist Guardian functional areas such as Engineering and Product Development in developing plans and resolving potential issues with suppliers and product designs to ensure flawless launch of new products.
- Other projects and assignments as identified