QUANTITATIVE MARKET RISK ANALYST
The Market Risk Team is looking for a Quantitative Market Risk Analyst to join their team in London to support the Gas, LNG, Power and Renewables trading desk. The candidate will be responsible for daily VaR and Stress reporting while monitoring risk metrics and positions relative to Market Risk limits to ensure compliance with trading standards. This role requires the ability to understand and decompose trading instruments and their associated risks/cash flows for Market Risk modelling. Additionally, the analyst needs to understand the impacts and sensitivities of market price moves across risk metrics and trading portfolios, ensuring appropriate identification and communication of key drivers to trading teams and senior management. This role also works closely with commercial trading teams to understand trading point of view, range of outcomes and position management to provide risk analytics and performance analysis.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Daily VaR and Stress reporting for the Gas, LNG, Power and Renewables desks.
- Monitor risk measures versus market risk limits.
- Ensure trades are accurately captured in the risk system.
- Identify, communicate, and resolve risk modelling issues in collaboration with IT.
- Set up, test, validate and improve market risk models.
- Periodic meetings with traders and trade leaders to highlight key risks and provide challenge to improve risk-adjusted decision making.
- Concisely communicate key market risks and flag risks not captured by VaR.
- Understand and communicate the impact of market dynamics and events on price moves, trading PNL, and risk measures.
- Identify and present risk insights to the trade team and senior management.
- Develop, maintain, and enhance position overviews, performance tools, market risk models and reports.
- Leverage coding skills to perform ad-hoc risk analysis and automate processes.
- Closely collaborate with the trading desk, Data Science group, Credit Risk, Product Control, Operations, and IT groups across multiple time zones.
What You Will Need To Be Successful
- Be a self-starter, proactive, diligent, pay strict attention to detail, be results-oriented and collaborative. Critical thinker and creative problem solver with analytical skills.
- Drive to continually improve process with the proven ability to work independently and accurately under pressure. Meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment while balancing multiple projects and daily responsibilities.
- Communicate with and challenge people at all levels of the organization in a clear and respectful manner while having good interpersonal and relationship building skills. Be an entrepreneurial thinker with the drive to improve risk adjusted decision making through continuous improvement and experimentation.
The Experience You Will Bring
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, or related quantitative field
- Experience in market risk modelling and process automation
- Experience in a commodity trading environment or good understanding of financial instruments in commodity trading
- Experience working with large datasets to extract and communicate findings
- Proficient and experienced in at least one programming language (Ex: VBA/Python/R/SQL/DAX). Python preferred
What Will Put You Ahead
- FRM, PRM, ERP or CFA qualification
- Experience in OR knowledge of Gas, LNG, Power and Renewable markets
- Good understanding of (spread) options, storage, index and swing contracts