Manufacturing Integration Engineer - Crimp Expert
Molex is a leading global supplier of innovative electronic solutions that create value for our customers and society. We are committed to improving people’s lives and making the world a better place. Connected Mobility Solutions (CMS), a business unit of Molex LLC, builds innovative automotive connectivity products and our manufacturing integration team develops the manufacturing processes that enable those solutions.
Molex CMS product team is seeking a Manufacturing Integration Engineer that will perform as the Crimp Expert in the new high-speed crimp technology lab in Rochester Hills. The Manufacturing Integration Engineer will work closely with our cross functional team and other business partners that build our automotive electronic products. These parts are getting faster, denser, smarter, and more complex with every evolution. Our FAKRA product busines is growing at the fastest pace ever and we keep adding different cables and terminations to our coax cable portfolio. In this role, the Engineer will bring coax cable crimping expertise to meet our internal and external customer expectations. This person will work proactively to ensure our networking segment is ready for existing and upcoming coax cable processing needs.
An ideal candidate is a smart, quick, positive, and confident collaborator. This person will share our passion for creating value, entrepreneurial spirit and customer focus
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Serve as a subject matter expert on crimping process and crimp quality.
- Develop a good understanding of crimp cross sections and their relevance to electrical testing and end OEM applications.
- Work with product design engineers to understand the product requirements and then evaluate appropriate tooling needs.
- Lead development opportunities as most of the time, engineers may need to develop our own tooling to pass product testing and validation.
- Work closely with product managers and will have a good understanding of upcoming pipeline for cable types and crimp terminations.
- Work proactively with product design engineers and terminal suppliers to ensure we have appropriate assembly instructions.
- Evaluate cable processing and crimp tooling needs.
- Develop tool suppliers to manufacture crimping blade sets and applicators.
- Use the crimp lab equipment to test and validate new toolsets.
- Work with test lab to schedule tests, analyze and share results with cross functional teams.
- Perform crimp optimization study for each new tool set.
- Work with product design engineers to finalize the crimp op results and recommendation for optimum settings.
Participate DFM exercise with cable suppliers and drive machine vendors, MIE, PDE and Cable suppliers’ joint efforts to determine cable properties that make the cable manufacturable with no process defects and no validation failures.
Participate in DFA/DFM activities along with cross functional team.
Crimp expert should be able to help engineers and plant process engineers to understand how to qualify a new applicator, blade sets ordered by the plants.
Help MIEs to address crimping specific items on PFMEA and Quality Control Plan. As a crimp process expert, the person in this role should know what detections and preventions are essential to make good crimps in mass production.
Support Product Engineering teams to address some key question regarding dimensions, tolerance, front end application and tooling to achieve a good crimp.
The Experience You Will Bring
- Bachelor's Degree in Industrial, Controls, Manufacturing, Engineering or related degree
- Hands on experience in cable crimping process that includes: setting up crimp tooling, optimizing crimp cross sections and launching crimp tooling in mass production
- Experience working with cables, wires and terminals
- Experience with application tooling
- Familiarity with all processes and equipment related to cable processing and cable termination crimping
- Ability to understand customer technical needs, specifications and advanced automotive architecture and effectively provide solutions to both the customer
- Experience with fixturing and tooling
- Good understanding of CAD
- Must be able to travel up to 20%, including potential international travel
What Will Put You Ahead
- Experience in automation design and process
Salary and Benefits Commensurate with Experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf