Research & Development Technologist
Are you looking to be part of the team supporting this exciting business? Applying Experimental discovery methods and developing new ways to differentiate the performance of our fibres and fabrics is an important aspect of delivering against our business’ vision.
For over 50 years, CORDURA® brand fabrics have empowered consumers to boldly take on their world. From mountain summits to city streets, the world's leading brands in the outdoor, workwear, and apparel industries look to CORDURA® for best-in-class fabric performance. Brands such as The North Face, Carhartt, and many more. CORDURA® fabric is even utilized by the world's leading militaries to protect their soldiers.
On the SIM (Specialty Industrial Materials) side of the business, we are focused on our airbag route-to-market strategies and industry solutions beyond our core fibres. Our local team is supporting innovation on our industrial fibers utilizing our Advanced Development Asset (ADF). We are championing new innovative Open Road ™ Fabric technology installed at Kingston to deliver fabric solutions as a key part of our transformation work.
Check out the New Website: https://www.openroadfabric.com/
In this role you will join the integrated R&D team which supports our global end-use fabric lab, Advanced Development Asset (ADF) and our Advanced Fabric Innovation Center (AFIC). This role will focus on supporting our experimental discovery work across all our facilities.The vision is to flow to the work and support our team to meet needs of multiple business units. The position focuses on development support in planning, executing, shipping, evaluating, and reporting. The role primarily supports non-routine work and poses new challenges every day.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Execute experimental objectives utilizing fibre production facilities, warping and weaving fabric equipment, fabric calendaring technology and lab end use testing capabilities.
- Design and coordinate development activities for fabric & fiber testing utilizing internal and external networks.
- Prioritize portfolio of work, raise issues in a timely manner and obtain necessary decision rights.
- Data analysis and root cause analysis support using tools such as Excel and Minitab for data-driven conclusions.
- Development of new test methods and standard operating practices.
- Maintaining testing equipment. Engaging stakeholders for advancement initiatives and ensuring instrument calibration and reliability are not impacting availability.
- Effective communication in team meetings, activity coordination, program updates, and leadership engagement.
Leadership of employees and supporting knowledge systems. Develop talent, recognize innate abilities, and apply comparative advantages to create greatest value.
The Experience You Will Bring
·Post-secondary education in science or laboratory technology
·Experience in a technical development assignment or equivalent (at least 1-year experience)
·Ability to follow standard practices and apply frameworks to plan activities
·Applicants must be functionally literate with site software and Microsoft Office 365 platform
·Candidates must have physical condition and health compatible with duties of this role.
What Will Put You Ahead
·Previous development testing including self-managing priorities/workflow to meet deadlines
·Previous familiarity with standardized test methods (e.g. ASTM, ISO, AATCC, EASC, JIS) and/or experience with test method development
·Previous experience procuring, implementing, maintaining, and calibrating equipment and/or analytical instruments
·Previous leadership roles
·Proficiency in EHS excellence, 5S, workflow management, asset health and quality management systems
·Proficiency in statistical data analysis, including use of Minitab to conduct MSA/Gage R&R tests
·Proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, Power BI, and Power Apps