Technical Project Engineer
Sentient Energy (www.sentient-energy.com), a subsidiary of Koch Engineered Solutions (KES), has established itself as an electric utility industry leader with its uniquely capable “Grid Analytics System”, consisting of several intelligent sensor product lines and software packages, that expand the visibility into critical operating conditions on the electric power grid. Global utilities already spend billions annually on distribution automation products, with strong growth expected over the next 5 years as the industry prepares for a rapid increase in solar, electric vehicle and other renewables penetration. Sentient Energy is positioned to capitalize on this trend and be a leader in the most rapidly growing sector of the Smart Grid, while making the delivery of power more reliable, safer, lower cost, and much “greener”.
Sentient Energy is recruiting for a full-time Technical Project Engineer position in our Customer Operations organization. The Customer Operations is responsible for designing and implementing solutions for deploying, commissioning, and operating Sentient Energy’s unique line of hardware and software products into utility distribution networks and operations.
This position offers a unique opportunity to work with emerging technologies in the rapidly developing and highly visibility Digital Grid space within the utility and industrial energy sector. The innovation and creativity with which we develop and implement utility solutions are among the distinctions that make Sentient Energy the leader in Distribution Network sensing and monitoring.
This role is open to remote and/or work from home candidates with preference to sit in Santa Clara or Dallas.
What You Will Do In Your Role
The selected candidate will work within the Delivery organization and in conjunction with Sentient Energy’s organization including sales, engineering, product management, production support and data science teams along with partnering utilities to develop and manage all phases of Sentient Energy’s product planning, deployment, testing, and operations. Specific responsibilities include:
Lead customer facing technical engineering on assigned accounts for project delivery, deployment, commissioning, and operations in support of the project manager
Create and refine technical design, schedule, and cost estimates for solutions
Develop and refine standard solution architecture blueprints and promote standardization and reuse to enhance life cycle speed, cost efficiency and effectiveness of solutions
Support prototype and beta products trials including verification and testing activities as defined by the project scope and plan
Support Power System Engineer and Customer Success Engagement Manager for customer event analysis and advanced analytics assessments with customer
Provide technical analysis, testing and validation to ensure delivery meets contracted scope and project definition
Support field operations including troubleshooting and remediation of technical issues in Sentient software as well as related customer infrastructure issues
Lead troubleshoot efforts for Sentient software, integrations and related customer network, security, and compute infrastructure issues
Install, upgrade, design, document, and review enterprise grade software deployments.
Manage technical project tasks for device, software deployment, configuration, and commissioning.
The Experience You Will Bring
- Bachelor’s Degree or experience in a 3+ years of experience in a technical support role/responsibility
- 3+ years of experience with electric grid operations systems, including electric power systems, distribution automation, distributed control systems and/or communications
- Ability to travel up to 50% to customer offices
What Will Put You Ahead
- BS in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science as preferred
- 4+ years of experience with the following technologies:
- Linux and Windows Server system administration, systems operation, and scripting
- DNP3 architecture and communications protocol
- Architecting, building, and optimizing VMs (VMWare/ESXi)
- Cyber security standards and practices
- 3+ years of experience in the following fields:
Electric power utility industry and electric power systems (T&D)
Basic DB administration (MySQL, MS Windows SQL)
Communication networks - MESH and cellular
Medium-large scale network deployment planning and implementation
Network architecture & engineering
Implementation of solutions within Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Utility SCADA or DMS, networking, or interconnection requirements for distribution grid (MV)
- Technical understanding of overall electric operations systems, including electric power systems, distribution automation, and distributed control systems and communications
- Innovation and creativity of design and implementation
- A passion for alternative energy solutions and the application of advanced technologies for a better future
- Familiarity with IoT, advanced analytics, and/or machine learning
Salary and Benefits Commensurate with Experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf