Junior Designer (Electric Motor Product Development)
This job posting is no longer active.
Genesis Robotics & Motion Technologies - Junior Designer (Electric Motor Product Development)Langley, BC
At Genesis (GRMT), there is no such thing as a dull moment. The path we are on is full of excitement, energy, and exploring new frontiers. Picture having your own front row seat to the robotics revolution and the future of motion technologies. This is the journey Genesis has traveled since the company’s inception. In April 2018, Koch Industries acquired majority ownership of GRMT. As a part of the Koch Engineered Solutions group, GRMT is able to leverage the capabilities and strength of one of the world’s largest private companies.
We are looking for a junior mechanical, mechatronics, or electrical designer with a strong engineering education and relevant work experience, who can drive innovation and help add to our growing portfolio of industry-changing, motion control technologies. You will have the opportunity to design and develop ground-breaking electric motor technologies. You will report to the motor group’s lead engineer, take daily guidance from senior engineers, and collaborate with the wider team skilled in all aspects of product development. You will bring an entrepreneurial working attitude, an ability to learn fast, and a strong mechanical, mechatronics, and/or electrical education.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Collaborate with a dynamic team of engineers on the development of innovative electric motor technologies
- Build the Genesis LiveDrive™ product, leveraging innovative motor technology and state-of-the-art tools
- Be the main support person for senior engineers, taking ownership of drawing, documentation, modeling, and analysis initiatives
- Be involved in engineering documentation, shaft design, bearing selection, electric cabling/wiring design, and electromechanical component (encoders, thermistors, etc.) selection
- Drive SolidWorks daily, and be an expert user of Excel for engineering calculations
- Apply engineering analysis to designs - carry out calculations, simulations (ANSYS), and verification test planning
- Collaborate with the manufacturing group throughout the product development process, to ensure product requirements are met both in the engineering development and production project stages
The Experience You Will Bring
- For candidates with a mechanical engineering degree, we would expect you to have a very good understanding of Machine Design, and to have a theoretical understanding of stress mechanics
- For candidates with a mechatronics or electrical degree, we would expect you to have an understanding of basic 3-phase power concepts, magnetics (flux density, induced voltage, torque production in a magnetic field), and motor operation (torque-speed curve interpretation, equivalent circuits, mechanical power, motor losses)
- A good understanding of basic statistical and data analysis methods
- Learn quickly with an innate hunger for knowledge
- 1+ years of working experience in a relevant industry
- Strong hands-on experience with electromechanical hardware, whether professional or hobby
- Strong theoretical understanding of selecting and designing with various materials (aluminum alloys, high strength steels, and plastics), including a good understanding of stress mechanics (nonlinear elastic behavior, fracture, durability)
- Basic experience with GD&T
- Good understanding of FEA theory, ideally also with practical FEA tool experience
- Creative approach to problem solving and solution optimization
- Track record of tackling design challenges with innovative problem-solving methods
- Strong with SolidWorks; expert knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to tailor presentation of complex topics to the audience
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced product development environment
What Will Put You Ahead:
- 3+ years of working experience
- Project, co-op, or professional working experience in a relevant industry (electrical, electromechanical, rotating machinery, robotics)
- Personal projects involving complex mechanical, electromechanical, and/or electrical hardware; e.g. you overhauled your motorcycle, routinely maintain your car, or programmed a robot on your own time
Who is Genesis Robotics?
Genesis Robotics & Motion Technologies develops and commercializes innovative actuation technologies, including electric motors and gears, for robotics and other end markets. Our core patented product is a high-torque direct drive robotic actuator – the LiveDrive™. The LiveDrive™, along with a growing portfolio of other motion technologies, will power the world’s fastest, safest, and most versatile robots.
Located in Langley, British Columbia, our rapidly growing team is currently made up of 100+ individuals with diverse skillsets: PhD engineers, designers, physicists, mathematicians, highly skilled machinists and fabricators, and business development and sales professionals.
As a part of the Koch family, we are able to leverage the capabilities and strength of one of the world’s largest private companies as we look to bring our technologies to the world.
Learn about the Humans of Genesis on our LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/genesis-robotics
See more at our website: http://www.genesis-robotics.com/
and on our Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD5azmfUwUcfAvJn8jl1_eg
This job posting is no longer active.