Senior Electromechanical Design Engineer
Genesis Robotics & Motion Technologies - Senior Electromechanical Design EngineerLangley, BC
At Genesis (GRMT), there is no such thing as a dull moment. The path we are on is full of excitement, energy, and exploring new frontiers. Picture having your own front row seat to the robotics revolution and the future of motion technologies. This is the journey Genesis has traveled since the company’s inception. In April 2018, Koch Industries acquired majority ownership of GRMT. As a part of the Koch Engineered Solutions group, GRMT is able to leverage the capabilities and strength of one of the world’s largest private companies.
We are looking for a Senior Electromechanical Design Engineer who can drive innovation and can help add to our growing portfolio of industry-changing, motion control technologies. You will have the opportunity to design and develop ground-breaking electric motor technologies. You will report to the motor group’s lead engineer and collaborate with a team skilled in all aspects of product development. You will bring significant experience with electromechanical design, ideally in the domain of electric rotating equipment.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Collaborate with a dynamic team of engineers on the development of innovative electric motor technologies
- Build the Genesis LiveDrive™ product, leveraging innovative motor technology and state-of-the-art tools
- Responsible for the electromechanical design of motors, including the selection of encoders, brakes, connectors, cabling, and electrical insulation
- Collaborate with the systems engineering group to ensure electromechanical design interfaces correctly with the control and electrical systems
- Drive SolidWorks daily, and be an expert user of Excel for engineering calculations
- Apply engineering analysis to designs - carry out calculations, simulations, and risk assessment
- Collaborate with the Manufacturing group throughout the product development process, to ensure product requirements are met both in the engineering development and production project stages
- Interact with an array of stakeholders, both internal and external (vendors, customers, compliance bodies) where appropriate
The Experience You Will Bring
- 10+ years of experience bringing electromechanical designs from concept to medium/high volume production
- Advanced design/selection experience with wiring, cabling, and connectors for power, encoder signals, and temperature measurement, including considerations for shielding and grounding
- Experience with electrical safety, including electrical insulation design, of low voltage (<1 kV) devices
- Significant experience with DFMEA process and its application, with a keen awareness of the risk assessment process
- Understanding of Biss-C, Endat 2.2, Hiperface encoder protocols, with significant experience with selecting encoders for a motion control application
- A good understanding of motor control (PWM VFD)
- Basic PCB design experience
- Expert with SolidWorks, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to tailor presentation of complex topics to the audience
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced product development environment
What Will Put You Ahead:
- Formal academic training in electric machine design and the practical electromechanical implementation of the machine design
- Ability to use ANSYS to conduct thermal, structural, and coupled simulations
- Familiarity with IEC 60664, UL 840, UL 1004-1
- Experience with designing rotating machinery
- Intermediate experience with Altium
- Expert with GD&T, with experience in tolerance stack-ups, including tuning tolerances to reduce costs while meeting product requirements
- P. Eng.
Who is Genesis Robotics?
Genesis Robotics & Motion Technologies develops and commercializes innovative actuation technologies, including electric motors and gears, for robotics and other end markets. Our core patented product is a high-torque direct drive robotic actuator – the LiveDrive™. The LiveDrive™, along with a growing portfolio of other motion technologies, will power the world’s fastest, safest, and most versatile robots.
Located in Langley, British Columbia, our rapidly growing team is currently made up of 100+ individuals with diverse skillsets: PhD engineers, designers, physicists, mathematicians, highly skilled machinists and fabricators, and business development and sales professionals.
As a part of the Koch family, we are able to leverage the capabilities and strength of one of the world’s largest private companies as we look to bring our technologies to the world.
Learn about the Humans of Genesis on our LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/genesis-robotics
See more at our website: http://www.genesis-robotics.com/
and on our Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD5azmfUwUcfAvJn8jl1_eg