Sr Engineer, Product Design
To be a technical leader to lead new automotive product development projects as well as modifications for legacy products through all development phases required to bring technology into application. To be a mentor to train young engineers and be an assistance with supervisor on team members talent development.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Project Definition - Develops documentation of the engineering scope, requirements, feasibility, & engineering workplan complying with company product design process. Works directly with product management or engineering supervisor/manager to capture needs and translates into an executable project.
- Design concepts – Work on or lead concept development activities with some guidance from engineering supervisor/manager. Expected to provide technologies that are manufacturable, cost effective, & meet product engineering requirements. Develops & communicates mitigation plan for areas of risk.
- Predictive Engineering - Plans and leads DFMEA, FEAs ,Tolerance Analysis and other theoretical studies. Leads prediction correlation efforts and understands the associated physics (may require expertise/development in observation tools).
- 2D/3D Documentation - Creates feature models & drawings using GD&T methodology (Datum selection, dimensioning and tolerancing aligned with function). Prepares and follows engineering change requests (ECR) per document control procedures.
- Validation Plan - Develop test plans (DVP&Rs) to validate product performance and analyze test results using statistical methods (DOEs, Hypothesis Testing, Capability Studies).
- Problem Solving – Lead root cause analysis utilizing structured problem-solving methods (8D, 5 Why, Fishbone).
- Leadership - Act as the voice of engineering to cross functional team members and customers to ensure design objectives are met. Identifies and provides feedback with recommendations to management of departmental needs. Coach / stimulate design engineers and aid their development through collaboration.
- Project Management - Manage own project per engineering timeline or multiple projects simultaneously if required. Create / maintain engineering timelines, escalate barriers, and drive projects to completion. Work with Engineering supervisor/manager for resources.
- Communication - Lead technical reviews with internal and external customers using effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Travel - Some travel, as necessary; may be required.
The Experience You Will Bring
- Adopt a professional and motivated attitude towards work and assume full responsibility for any project or tasks assigned or initiated.
- Demonstrate good teamwork for overall success.
- Familiar with automotive connector design process.
- Have depth of knowledge to Automotive connector performance standards (USCAR, GMW, PSA or other OEM standards), having design experience to use some of them into work is preferred.
- Able to skillfully use one CAD software for modelling and drafting in concept design, UGNX is preferred.
- Have knowledge and working experience with SAP and engineering PLM system.
- Have depth of knowledge and working experience to predictive engineering tools, such as DFMEA, FEA, tolerance stack, DOE.
- Have general knowledge and working experience on problem-solving with procedure or some tools, such as 8D, 5-why, FTA, fishbone, etc.
What Will Put You Ahead
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent science degree.
- At least 7 years automotive product design experience with depth of knowledge in material mechanics (plastics & metals), manufacturing processes (injection molding, stamping, plating), & engineering processes/tools (as defined in responsibilities).