Polymer R&D Technician
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Provision of expert experimental support for R&D initiatives and Technical Support activities within the Intermediates Polymer business.
- Working in such a way that safety is the number one priority, raising any compliance concerns immediately.
- For defined pieces of experimental equipment (e.g. Titrator, GC, FTIR), be responsible for commissioning, risk assessment, maintaining the equipment in a safe and fully compliant working condition, method development, developing operating and training procedures.
- For defined areas, take on the responsibilities and accountabilities of being a Laboratory Safety Supervisor and/or deputy.
- When required, responsible for the development, validation, and documentation of new test methods.
- In a timely fashion, raise to the operations or R&D manager any practical issues and/or equipment constraints that occur during the conduct of experimental programs and endeavor to resolve.
- Exercise good time management and plan own experimental work, agreeing timescales and goals with key stakeholders, delivering to agreed plans.
- Responsible for reporting on (including periodic oral presentation) & maintaining accurate records of experimental activity and inputting to the direction of such activities.
- Continuous self-development to allow increased contributions to programs, including interpretation of data, making recommendations on program direction, defining experimental plans, developing own program proposals, and increasing technical skills relevant to role (e.g. expertise in polymer characterization techniques).
The Experience You Will Bring
- Must demonstrate and commit to internalizing and applying Koch guiding Principles and MBM® philosophy.
- Experience of operating in a busy lab, exercising good lab practice.
- Experience in wet chemistry techniques (i.e. titrations, solution viscosity).
- High awareness of the risks associated with hazardous chemicals and high temperature equipment and experience in writing and adhering to COSHH and Risk assessments.
- Proven ability to plan experimental work, deliver the plan, maintain high quality detailed written records and report results.
- Excellent organizational skills – attention to detail and thorough record keeping, maintaining accurate and clear records.
- Degree in Chemistry (or materials science) or equivalent experience in industry.
- Experience in the polymer characterization techniques, including solution viscosity, titrations, GPC, DSC and TGA.
- Experience in the application of chemometrics for data analysis
- Experience in mechanical property testing (i.e. tensile, impact)
What Will Put You Ahead
- Strive to be a Principled entrepreneur – think, act, and demonstrate such behaviors.
- Work proactively with passion & a sense of urgency.
- Willing to take responsibility and be held accountable.
- Display humility and be highly respectful of others, working well as part of a team.
- Willing to learn quickly and take responsibility for own continuous growth and development.
- Flexibility to take on a breadth of responsibilities.