Network Communication Engineer
Sentient Energy (www.sentient-energy.com), a subsidiary of Koch Engineered Solutions (KES), has established itself as an electric utility industry leader with its uniquely capable “Grid Analytics System”, consisting of several intelligent sensor product lines and software packages, that expand the visibility into critical operating conditions on the electric power grid. Global utilities already spend billions annually on distribution automation products, with strong growth expected over the next 5 years as the industry prepares for a rapid increase in solar, electric vehicle and other renewables penetration. Sentient Energy is positioned to capitalize on this trend and be a leader in the most rapidly growing sector of the Smart Grid, while making the delivery of power more reliable, safer, lower cost, and much “greener”.
Sentient Energy is looking to fill the role for an Engineer – Network & Communications position in our Customer Operations organization. This role will be responsible for the design, configuration and operations of system networking and device communications infrastructure between Sentient Energy’s internal network, publicly available communications networks and private customer managed networks. The Network & Communications Engineer will work with the Project Delivery team to design and implement project scope for new and existing customers and work with our Production Support team to support, troubleshoot and operate communications networks for our customer base. In addition to the focus on delivering network and communications services to our customers, the Network & Communications Engineer will coordinate with our internal IT organization to implement and manage all network connections between internal Sentient Energy networks and those of our customers necessary to provide the contracted service levels.
What You Will Do In Your Role
The selected candidate will provide network and communications engineering support to our Project Delivery function, working with the project manager(s) to design, implement and test the communication and network infrastructure necessary to deliver Sentient Energy solutions to our customers.Once the project implementation is complete and accepted, the role will shift to working with our Production Support organization to monitor, manage and resolve issues necessary for our solutions to deliver their defined scope and service level agreements to our customers.
The Engineer will work across the Sentient’s organization including business development, engineering, product management, advanced technology teams along with strategic customers to provide support, advise and direction related to networking and communications required to deliver the Sentient Energy solution(s). Specific functions include:
- Design and Implement reliable communication solutions to deliver highly scalable services
- Support Deployment of Sentient Software components on customer premises & cloud environments
- Support development and QA teams in maintaining and troubleshooting engineering environments.
- Gain deep application-level knowledge of the systems as well as contribute to their overall design
- Work with development teams to enhance, document, establish and to generally improve the operability, monitorability and security of the networking solutions for our products
- Employ modern Networking and Security practices in protecting and operating OnPrem and Cloud hosted software
- Incorporate standard security practices and identify any potential communication vulnerabilities
- Manage multiple tasks and projects
- Work across organizations and geographies and interact, influence and negotiate effectively with all levels of technical systems management
- Frisco, Texas
- Travel: Up to 25% to corporate locations and customer offices
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in networking and cellular communication systems.
- 1+ year of experience with hands-on experience or good familiarity with latest communication and networking protocols and tools: TCP, IP, UDP, FTP, SMTP/POP, HTTP/HTTPS, ARP, DHCP, RTP, RLP, RAP, LT2P, PPTP, SNMP, TFTP as well as Routers, Switches, VPN, Secure Networks.
- 1+ year of experience with cloud services from AWS, Azure, IBM Cloud Services, others
What Will Put You Ahead
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field preferred
- Technical understanding of overall electric operations systems, including electric power systems, distribution automation, and distributed control systems and communications
- Experience working in the Utility Industry with Utility Metering or Field Device Management is preferred.
- Proven ability to drive continuous value of the product suite
- Effective communications skills ‐ speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Innovation and creativity of design and implementation
- A passion for alternative energy solutions and the application of advanced technologies for a better future
- Demonstrate passion for great people and engineers, and ability to lead strong teams to ambitious goals.
Salary and Benefits Commensurate with Experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf