PROCESS CONTROL ENGINEER
Georgia-Pacific’s Consumer Products Group is seeking qualified professionals for the role of Process Control & Automation Engineer to primarily support the Port Hudson Paper Machine Technologies within the Mill located in Zachary, LA. Reporting into the Machine Leader, the Controls Engineer will primarily be responsible for supporting and improving controls, drives and automation systems for the paper machine assets. A successful candidate will enjoy utilizing engineering expertise to solve problems and improve the reliability and functionality of existing control systems while also expanding their capability to manage and execute projects.
This individual will support our paper machine assets across Tissue and Towel. Combined, there are a total of 2 TAD paper machines and 7 converting lines. Four lines are in our Tissue operations. This system was a very large capital initiative between our Crossett and Port Hudson operations, and was the company’s first foray into large scale automation. The other three lines are in our Towel operations.
Organizationally, the Towel and Tissue Machine areas function together as a product system and are working to implement and develop an Ownership-based Work System (OBWS) – meaning that there is much focus on building on-shift capability among the employees. Master Technicians with responsibilities for operating and maintaining equipment to achieve benchmark results are key resources for the Process Control Engineer. Additionally, the Process Control Engineer role will partner with other leaders to help transfer knowledge to on-shift Technicians.
The Process Control Engineer will support outages, special projects, and process optimization efforts. Our mill utilizes automation across the product system and for control systems, there is a mix of Delta V, Rockwell and Allen Bradley. A successful candidate will enjoy utilizing engineering expertise to solve problems and improve the reliability and functionality of existing control systems while also providing scope, estimates, and design for new installations.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Develop understanding and application of MBM® to guide overall performance in the role as a control engineer. • Create and Lead an environment where the team achieves zero incidents in Environmental, Health and Safety. Ensure excellence with the safety systems on the Converting assets; ensuring the facility's converting control systems are operating safely, reliably, and efficiently.
- Effective cross functional collaboration within the Manufacturing Environment.
- Providing guidance to manufacturing operations on selection and implementation of process control technologies
- Providing troubleshooting and support of the daily manufacturing operation
- Designing, programming, modifying and maintaining PLC and HMI systems; Pursuing engineering solutions to resolve equipment deficiencies.
- Developing, reviewing, and revising project investment requests to ensure sound engineering approaches and professional presentations
- Lead the effort to identify, investigate, recommend and implement equipment improvements, new systems and process changes that will improve productivity (OEE), yield, quality and/or reduce costs
The Experience You Will Bring
- 2 year Technical/Vocational or Associate’s Degree or Higher
- 1 or more years of professional experience working with PLCs to include troubleshooting, configuration, and HMI design
- Willing and able to work on an on-call rotation to support production needs
- Experience with 3-phase motor controls, 480V A/C systems, and low voltage D/C systems
- Experience working with VFDs, servos, and fieldbus networks such as Profibus, Controlnet, Devicenet, and Ethernet
- Experience using Microsoft Office Tools such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
What Will Put You Ahead
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in degree Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial, or Manufacturing Engineering, or Paper Science
- 5 or more years of experience as a controls engineering supporting converting or paper machine technologies.
- 3 or more years of paper manufacturing experience.
- Experience working with multiple vintages of Siemens and Rockwell PLC and HMI platforms
- Experience leading controls/automation projects, coaching and mentoring others within a manufacturing environment (i.e. demonstrated ability to lead, coach, and transfer knowledge to get results)
- Equipment and/or manufacturing systems reliability experience
Salary and Benefits Commensurate with Experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf