Human Factors Engineer
The Phillips-Medisize Human-Centered Design team is seeking a Human Factors Engineer to join our cross functional group. We believe that good things happen at the intersection of art and science. Creative expression plus engineering rigor produces design innovation. The ideal candidate will share our passion for serving patients, caregivers, and healthcare professionals through our work.
The Human Factors Engineer will make meaningful contributions throughout our Design Development Process, with a special emphasis on medical device product development. The candidate should be familiar with human factors standards and guidance documents (ie. ISO/IEC-62366, ANSI/HE 75, etc.), will be well versed in usability assessment techniques, should be able to demonstrate proficiency with human performance evaluation, and should be able to relate human factors activities to the medical device Design Controls process. The candidate must be a creative problem solver with a diverse skill set and should enjoy working in a collaborative multi-disciplinary environment.
Our Global Innovation and Development Center is located in Hudson, Wisconsin – just 30 minutes east of Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota.
What you will do in your role.
- Contribute during all phases of the product development cycle with particular emphasis on Human Factors Engineering and Usability Assessment.
- Direct and/or collaborate on user needs/requirements gathering activities including ethnographic research, use case analysis, and/or task analysis.
- Plan, moderate, and manage Formative usability studies during concept development as well as Summative usability studies for human factors validation.
- Ability to write clear testing protocols, set up testing environments, manage recruitment of study participants, schedule research sites, moderate usability sessions, analyze testing results, identify design improvement opportunities, and author summary reports that adhere to industry standards.
- Support analytical use risk analysis to predict and/or assess use error risk potential and identify design mitigations.
- Assist with conformance to Design Control and FDA guidance to ensure product quality through human factors focused technical reviews.
- Translate research results into objective and actionable design direction.
- Encourage collaboration between the product development team and other related disciplines (ie. regulatory, clinical, marketing, quality, manufacturing, and other functions) regarding potential use error issues as they may relate to user/patient safety.
- Support the development and refinement of standard operating procedures related to Human Factors Engineering, with close connection to the Product Development Process and Quality Management System.
- Develop close working relationships with new and existing customers
The experience you will bring.
- Understanding of current Human Factors standards and methods
- Demonstrated proficiency with qualitative and quantitative data analysis methodologies (statistical data analysis expertise is strongly desired)
- Strong writing, organizational, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Self-directed and able to work effectively within a team environment.
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to work at a fast pace and navigate through ambiguity while keeping the end goal in focus.
- Ability to understand and follow applicable safety, quality, and environmental programs, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
- Bachelor Degree in Design, Engineering, Psychology, or other related field; Advanced Degree in Human Factors, Cognitive/Experimental Psychology, or other related field is preferred
This position does not qualify for VISA sponsorship
In order to comply with U.S. export control laws and regulations, this position requires applicants to either provide proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent resident status or be eligible to receive an export authorization (a license) under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations.
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf