Electromechanical Design Engineer
GENESIS ROBOTICS – Electromechanical Design Engineer
At Genesis, there is no such thing as a dull moment. The path we are on is full of excitement, energy and exploring new frontiers. Picture having your own front row seat to the robotics revolution and the future of motion technologies. This is the journey Genesis has traveled since the company’s inception. The best part?
We are just getting started. We are looking for a senior and creative electromechanical designer who can drive innovation and can help add to our growing portfolio of industry-changing, motion control technologies. You will have the opportunity to design and develop ground-breaking electric motor technologies. You will report to the motor group’s lead engineer and collaborate with a team skilled in engineering, design, FEA, and all aspects of product development. You will bring significant experience with electromechanical design and/or rotating equipment.
What you will do in your role.
- Collaborate with a dynamic team of engineers on the development of innovative electric motor technologies
- Build the Genesis LiveDrive™ technology suite by innovating net-new motor technology
- Drive SolidWorks daily, use ANSYS structural simulation to validate designs
- Apply engineering analysis to designs: carry out calculations, simulations and risk assessment
- Collaborate with manufacturing groups, both internal and external, during design and build phases to ensure your designs can be built to a high quality
- Interact with an array of company stakeholders, both internal and external (vendors, customers) where appropriate
The experience you will bring.
- 10+ years of experience as a hands-on mechanical/mechatronics/electromechanical design engineer
- Preference given to candidates with formal academic training in electric machine design and/or design of rotating equipment, with a focus on mechanical integration
- 10+ years of experience bringing designs from concept to production, including direct contribution to Design for Manufacturing and Design for Cost activities
- Demonstrated experience with various materials (aluminum alloys, high strength steels, and plastics), including a good understanding of stress mechanics (nonlinear elastic behavior, fracture, durability)
- Demonstrated experience with various high-volume manufacturing processes such as casting and extrusion, as well as coating for corrosion protection (nitriding, plating) and painting
- Expert with GD&T, with experience in tolerance stack-ups, including tuning tolerances to reduce costs while not compromising performance
- Experience with complex wiring/cabling, connector integration, and encoder selection
- A good understanding of motor control (PWM VFD)
- Experience with electrical safety, including electrical insulation, of low voltage (<1,000 V) devices is highly preferable
- Creative approach to problem solving and solution optimization
- Track record for tackling design challenges with an innovative problem-solving method
- Expert with SolidWorks
- ANSYS structural simulation experience preferable
- Excellent English written and spoken communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced product development environment
- P.Eng. preferred but not mandatory
Who is Genesis Robotics?
Genesis Robotics & Motion Technologies develops and commercializes innovative actuation technologies, including electric motors and gears, for robotics and other end markets. Our core patented product is a high-torque direct drive robotic actuator – the LiveDrive™. The LiveDrive™, along with a growing portfolio of other motion technologies, will power the world’s fastest, safest, and most versatile robots.
Located in Langley, British Columbia, our rapidly growing team is currently made up of 100+ individuals with diverse skillsets: PhD engineers, designers, physicists, mathematicians, highly skilled machinists and fabricators, and business development and sales professionals.
Genesis received a strategic, majority stake investment from Koch Industries in April 2018. As a part of the Koch family, we are now able to leverage the capabilities and strength of one of the world’s largest private companies as we look to bring our technologies to the world.
Learn about the Humans of Genesis on our LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/17962496/
See more at our website: https://genesisrobotics.com/
and our Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD5azmfUwUcfAvJn8jl1_eg