Senior Coatings Formulation Scientist
Georgia-Pacific Chemicals, LLC has an immediate need for a Sr. Coatings Formulation Scientist based out of our Innovation Technical Center in Decatur, GA. Reporting to the R&D Manager of Thermosetting, the selected individual will provide senior level research and development expertise to identify, develop, scale up and commercialize innovative chemical solutions for the coatings industry for Invista and Georgia-Pacific. We seek a seasoned individual possessing an entrepreneurial spirit and creativity to formulate, apply and evaluate new chemistries into novel coatings and adhesives. The successful candidate will collaborate with representatives from a cross-functional team to identify trends, consumer insights and new market opportunities. If you enjoy the coatings and formulation science and possess a desire to interface and consult with our customers in the field, we’d like to learn more about you!
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Conducting lab experiments to gain a deep understanding of coatings and resins products and base formulations to develop novel coatings
- Utilizing scientific and technical expertise to identify customer insights and new technologies to advance GP/Invista competitive position.
- Interacting and presenting technical findings to internal and external audiences
- Demonstrating leadership and technical expertise in the lab and field
- Demonstrating the ability to collaborate with a cross functional team to accomplish objectives
- Fostering a safe work environment and complying with all laws, rules and regulations
- Using Formulating Software, Design of Experiment other computer based statistical tools
The Experience You Will Bring
- Ten (10) or more years’ Technical and application experience in one or more of the following:
- Industrial Coatings
- Heavy Duty Maintenance
- Direct to Metal Coatings
- Corrosion Resistant Coatings
- Chemical Resistant Coatings
- 2-Component, Thermoset
- Experience in technical research and development (academic research experience is applicable)
- Formulating, applying, curing and evaluating high performance coatings
- Experience using amine curing agents in the production of epoxy, polyurethane, polyester and/or acrylic based coatings
- Experience with phenolic, epoxy, polyester and/or acrylic based thermoset coatings
- Willing and able to travel up to 25% including some international travel
- PhD Degree in Organic Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry
- Experience formulating amine based ambient cured coatings and formulating phenolic based thermoset coatings
- Experience with adhesive formulations
- Project Management Experience
- Experience in roles with significant customer interaction
- Experience bringing products from concept to commercialization
- Project management and leadership experience
- Bachelor of Science or Master of Science or higher in Chemistry, or Chemical Engineering, Material Science or Polymer Science/Engineering
Salary and Benefits Commensurate with Experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf