Georgia-Pacific is seeking a Lab Technician (Shop Tech) to support our Centers of Excellence capability by working with the Application Services Team and Gypsum Laboratory at our facilities in Decatur, GA (just outside Atlanta, GA). The Lab Technician is a key role that will create value through small scale manufacturing and testing prior to implementation in production settings. The Lab Technician will conduct testing, record data and work closely with R&D, Quality, Product Management, Operations, business partners and leadership. The selected individual will also assist scientists in identifying, developing, and commercializing market-focused innovative solutions for GP’s Centers of Excellence capability. Furthermore, the Lab Technician will contribute to the product development cycle from idea generation, pilot scale manufacturing, to new product commercialization and contribute to the customer focus/testing support capability. The Decatur site includes a state-of-the-art analytical lab and extensive application testing capabilities. As a market leader, Georgia-Pacific has the analytical, statistical and process tools, assets, and commitment for you to be a successful contributor and create value.
What you will do in your role.
- Complying with all site safety, environmental and chemical handling procedures
- Safely using power tools, manually lifting materials up to safe limits and assisting co-workers
- Manufacturing and testing of pilot scale samples
- Conditioning samples and conducting physical testing of materials per procedures
- Submitting and communicating test results to customers
- Recording and entering test data via Excel and online data systems
- Receiving, verifying, unloading, inspecting and documenting incoming truck shipments
- Handling and staging warehouse testing materials
- Manage warehouse inventory materials and disposition wastes
- Supporting Centers of Excellence capability with construction and testing of building product assemblies
- Performing operator basic care tasks for testing equipment and routine housekeeping
- Operating a forklift and other mobile equipment, including hand pallet jacks
- Working, collaborating, and innovating in a team setting
The experience you will bring.
- Experience working in a construction, industrial, or military environment
- Willing and able to work in an industrial, small scale production environment, including periods of time in dusty, noisy, non-air conditioned or unheated areas.
- Experience communicating in both verbal and written formats
- Experience planning, multi-tasking, and utilizing time management skills to complete projects and meet deadlines
- Experience working with hand tools and power tools
- Willing and able to maintain strict adherence to safety rules and guideline to include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Experience using MS Office Suite
- Willing and able to work in a lab setting, to include handling chemicals
- Willing and able to travel up to 10% of the time
- Associate degree or higher or higher preferred in science with studies in Mechanics, Science, Electronics or Construction wood science, material science, or chemistry
- Experience and knowledge of basic statistics
- Two (2) or more years working in a construction, manufacturing, industrial, quality, fabrication or laboratory environment
- Experience with building product testing and building science knowledge
- Experience operating a forklift or mobile equipment
·High School Diploma or equivalent or higher OR experience in wood/industrial processes
Salary and Benefits Commiserate with Experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf