Principal Electromechanical Engineer
Genesis has a unique new opportunity for a Principal Electromechanical Engineer looking to contribute to a truly unique business environment. You will help us build a world-class design and manufacturing operation, producing industry disruptive motion technologies. The ideal candidate will have a creative approach to problem solving and can help guide us as we commercialize our inventive core actuation technologies (high torque direct drive electric motors, gears, and combined actuators).
You will be pivotal in leading the mechanical integration of our core motor technologies as we scale and mature our rapidly growing portfolio. Reporting to the Design Engineering Manager, you will be the technical expert of the electromechanical design for motor development projects. Working closely with the project technical leads, you will focus on ensuring our designs are well balanced for performance, manufacturability, cost, quality, and reliability. Genesis is rapidly expanding our product portfolio, and your expertise will be critical to ensure our designs are scalable and can move to volume production efficiently at the cost targets required. You will be responsible as the technical reviewer for all motor designs, drawings, and documentation, and provide mentorship to the motor design team.
What You Will Do
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship with respect to the mechanical integration of our core motor technology.
- Collaborate with Electromagnetic Design Engineers and Product Mangers to ensure designs achieve performance and cost targets.
- Work closely with Supply Chain and Manufacturing Engineering, to ensure designs are manufacturable and scalable with the suppliers and capabilities selected.
- Review and guide design decisions to balance the optimization for performance, manufacturability, cost, and schedule, while meeting performance requirements and reducing risks.
- Provide drawing checking and approval.
- Provide design review and sign-off.
- Be the subject matter expert with technically challenging design aspects.
- Support capability development for prototyping and commercialization.
- Provide guidance and expertise in engineering process development to efficiently transition product from concept to production with the right level of rigor and risk reduction.
- Demonstrate and enhance the company’s key values of Humility, Self-Actualization, Principled Entrepreneurship, Transformation, Respect, Knowledge, Integrity, and Stewardship & Compliance.
Who You Are (Basic Qualifications)
- Willing to travel to Langley (Vancouver), BC, Canada regularly.
- Experience in a senior engineer, principal engineer, or technical lead position in the electric motor industry.
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary engineering teams in a leadership/mentorship capacity.
- Experience in the full product development lifecycle of electric motor products.
- Experience in mechanical design, design-for-manufacturing, and engineering drawings with GD&T.
What Will Put You Ahead
- Expert or principal level expertise in the areas above.
- Expertise with critical components of motor design including, rotor and stator laminations, winding methods, magnets, electrical insulation systems, bearings, seals, encoders, brakes.
- Motor industry expertise and contacts with suppliers and contract manufactures that can help drive commercialization.
- Familiar with manufacturing processes for high volume production, including casting, extrusion and injection molding.
- Experience with the manufacturing of precision components.
- Skilled with Solidworks and familiarity with Solidworks PDM.
- Strong understanding of electromagnetic design.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering.
- Experience with simulation (ANSYS, Solidworks) and solving mechanical/thermal integration challenges.
- Strong hands-on ability and experience in a prototyping shop environment.
- Experience with gears and gearbox design.
- Experience with testing drive integration for prototype hardware.
- Risk assessment and mitigation experience (DFMEA).
- P. Eng registration.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Strong entrepreneurial mindset, driven to go above and beyond to ensure project and team success.
GENERAL SALARY RANGE
For this role, we anticipate paying $130,000 - $180,000 per year. This role is eligible for variable pay, issued as a monetary bonus or in another form.
At Koch companies, we are entrepreneurs. This means we openly challenge the status quo, find new ways to create value and get rewarded for our individual contributions. Any compensation range provided for a role is an estimate determined by available market data. The actual amount may be higher or lower than the range provided considering each candidate’s knowledge, skills, abilities, and geographic location. If you have questions, please speak to your recruiter about the flexibility and detail of our compensation philosophy.
All Koch companies value diversity of thought, perspectives, aptitudes, experiences, and backgrounds. We are Military Ready and Second Chance employers. Learn more about our hiring philosophy here.
Who We Are
Who is Genesis Motion Solutions?
As part of Koch Engineered Solutions, we at Genesis Motion Solutions are redefining motion - changing the way automation and robotics are designed and perform and disrupting one of today’s most rapidly growing and transformative technologies in unexpected ways. We look for inspiration beyond the conventional and encourage collaboration in the creative process. All of this is wrapped in a deep commitment to our core values. Sound like you? Join our team!
About Koch Engineered Solutions
Koch Engineered Solutions, part of the Koch Industries family of companies, is a dynamic network of businesses that work together to create an ecosystem of domain expertise. Increasing operational efficiency and safety. Reducing waste and emissions. The manufacturing challenges of today aren’t just about improving performance or practicing environmental stewardship, such as managing water and waste, reducing carbon emissions and increasing energy efficiency. They are about doing both, but better. That’s where you come in. We are a people company. It’s our people who bring the domain expertise and engineered solutions to our customers. Join our ranks and change the world.
At Koch, employees are empowered to do what they do best to make life better. Learn how our business philosophy helps employees unleash their potential while creating value for themselves and the company.
Our goal is for each employee, and their families, to live fulfilling and healthy lives. We provide essential resources and support to build and maintain physical, financial, and emotional strength focusing on overall wellbeing so you can focus on what matters most. Our benefits plan includes medical, dental, vision, flexible spending and health savings accounts, life insurance, ADD, disability, retirement, paid vacation/time off, educational assistance, and may also include infertility assistance, paid parental leave and adoption assistance. Specific eligibility criteria is set by the applicable Summary Plan Description, policy or guideline and benefits may vary by geographic region. If you have questions on what benefits apply to you, please speak to your recruiter.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status. Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test. This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: http://www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf
Keywords: electric motor, servo, BLDC, electromagnetic, magnetic, stator, rotor, winding, insulation, bearings, encoders, machine design, EMD, actuator, actuation, brush, brushless, induction, mechanical, electrical, mechatronic, electromechanical, electro-mechanical, DFM, DFMA, design of manufacturing, integration, automation, robotic, senior, principal, lead, advanced, staff