Tactical Environmental Engineer
Georgia-Pacific ’s Packaging and Cellulose Group is seeking qualified professionals to consider for the Tactical Environmental Engineer at our containerboard mill located in Cedar Springs, GA. The Tactical Environmental Engineer provides leadership and strategic direction to the mill’s environmental programs; helping align mill and regional water strategies, drive performance improvement through efficient, effective, and sustainable management systems, and ensuring leaders and employees are equipped to manage water responsibilities as well as the mill’s other environmental compliance programs. This position reports to the mill Environmental Manager and creates value for the organization by ensuring compliance is maintained and risk is identified and mitigated. Long-term value is created through the application of our Principle Based Management™ business philosophy.
The Cedar Springs facility is one of the largest containerboard facilities in the country with three paper machines that make different weights of brown paper and containerboard paper. The Cedar Springs Mill, located in the southwest corner of Georgia is approximately 28 miles from Dothan, Alabama. Dothan is the 6th largest city in the state of Alabama with a population of about 70,000. From Dothan, you are only 90 miles from the beautiful Gulf Coast. To learn more about Georgia-Pacific’s packaging business please visit: www.gppackaging.com and view the video How Paper Is Made!
What You Will Do
- Provide leadership and strategic direction related to the mill’s water programs consistent with our Stewardship & Compliance Principles to achieve our Vision
- Develop and maintain an evergreen point of view of environmental risks, priorities, key issues, and strategic plans as it pertains to the mill and regions water program
- Lead and support the mill permitting efforts and track emerging issues
- Fulfill regulatory compliance obligations in a disciplined manner that leverages technology enablers, common processes, and best practices from across the enterprise
- Systematically drive the water environmental programs to be more resilient, effective, consistent, verifiable, and efficient (structured and principled vs. rule based)
- Build solid working relationships with internal and external stakeholders including regulatory agencies
- Coordinate and oversee onsite contractors and consultants, as needed, to maintain environmental obligations
- Develop and maintain a strong working knowledge of mill processes and their impact on environmental performance which allows the facility to enable our operations teams to meet their environmental obligations
- Lead compliance with requirements of the various regulations including NPDES, SPCC, SARA, Stormwater (SWPP), Corps of Engineers
- Coordinate compliance monitoring
- Routine data/information management/analysis
- Routine report generation and submittal to regulatory agencies.
- Develop, maintain, and enhance robust environmental management systems to comply with water/wastewater permits and regulations
- Manage daily operation of an Aerated Stabilization Basin (ASB) wastewater treatment system
- Reviewing and optimizing system performance
- Ensuring treatment chemical inventories are maintained
- Ensuring equipment is in good operable condition and maintained as needed
- In conjunction with the water/wastewater responsibilities this role will also support the air and solid waste programs at the facility as needed
- Periodically rotate "on call" to provide environmental support to operations and review daily compliance status outside of regular business hours
Who You Are (Basic Qualifications)
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Manufacturing or industrial experience working in an environmentally regulated facility
- Experience in developing and maintaining environmental compliance reports
What Will Put You Ahead
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Environmental Sciences, Environmental Management, or Engineering
- Five (5) or more years working in the environmental regulatory arena
- Working knowledge of air, water, and waste environmental regulations, specifically for the state of Georgia
- Experience in overseeing a Wastewater Treatment Program
- Experience in managing complex environmental issues in a large manufacturing environment, specifically in the pulp and paper industry
- Experience programming and using MACROs, creating graphs and performing advanced calculations in Excel or other software packages
At Koch companies, we are entrepreneurs. This means we openly challenge the status quo, find new ways to create value and get rewarded for our individual contributions. Any compensation range provided for a role is an estimate determined by available market data. The actual amount may be higher or lower than the range provided considering each candidate’s knowledge, skills, abilities, and geographic location. If you have questions, please speak to your recruiter about the flexibility and detail of our compensation philosophy.
All Koch companies value diversity of thought, perspectives, aptitudes, experiences, and backgrounds. We are Military Ready and Second Chance employers. Learn more about our hiring philosophy here.
Who We Are
As a Koch company and a leading manufacturer of bath tissue, paper towels, paper-based packaging, cellulose, specialty fibers, building products and much more, Georgia-Pacific works to meet evolving needs of customers worldwide with quality products. In addition to the products we make, we operate one of the largest recycling businesses. Our more than 30,000 employees in over 150 locations are empowered to innovate every day –to make everyday products even better.
At Koch, employees are empowered to do what they do best to make life better. Learn how our business philosophy helps employees unleash their potential while creating value for themselves and the company.
Our goal is for each employee, and their families, to live fulfilling and healthy lives. We provide essential resources and support to build and maintain physical, financial, and emotional strength focusing on overall wellbeing so you can focus on what matters most. Our benefits plan includes medical, dental, vision, flexible spending and health savings accounts, life insurance, ADD, disability, retirement, paid vacation/time off, educational assistance, and may also include infertility assistance, paid parental leave and adoption assistance. Specific eligibility criteria is set by the applicable Summary Plan Description, policy or guideline and benefits may vary by geographic region. If you have questions on what benefits apply to you, please speak to your recruiter.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status. Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test. This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: http://www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf