Optimized Process Designs, LLC (OPD) is an engineering/construction company headquartered in Katy, TX with an expertise in the natural gas, natural gas liquids, and petrochemical industries. OPD is part of the larger Koch Engineered Solutions (KES) organization which provides a variety of capabilities across many industries. Originally incorporated in 1980, OPD has developed a strong reputation for honesty, integrity, and ability to successfully execute projects. OPD has a key advantage in being able to supply construction services as well as engineering/procurement. This enables clients to have a ''one stop shop'' for the overall project, providing increased efficiency and avoiding potential interface problems. OPD's industry experience, flexibility, and personal attention have made us a preferred partner to our customers and our tight knit, highly productive, team atmosphere makes OPD a great place to work.
The jobsite located in Mont Belvieu, TX has an opening for a Pipefitter.
What You Will Do In Your Role
Some core responsibilities for a pipefitter include:
- Reading drawings, taking measurements, drawing isometrics, and installing piping efficiently
- Basic knowledge of blueprints
- Able to bolt, clamp, and tack-weld parts to secure in position for welding
- Distinguishing varying thickness and types of metal materials
- Able to position and clamp together components of fabricated metal products to prepare for welding
- Possess skilled knowledge of pipe fittings, bolts, valves, etc. as required
- Assemble and secure pipes, tubes, fittings, and related equipment according to specifications by welding and threading joints without errors.
- Manually handling and securely applying rigging equipment.
- Welding small areas to client requirements
- Operate tools and equipment including: beveling machines, cut-off grinders, hammers, torches, magnetic drills, welding machines, and a Saw-Zall.
We expect all field employees to:
- Actively participate in a strong safety culture
- Recognize safety hazards and risks
- Participate in onsite safety meetings
- Follow OPD and client safety policies and procedures
- Be aware of changing conditions on an active jobsite
- Be on time to the jobsite each day ready for work
- Display a positive attitude and be able to work in a team environment
- High attention to detail to avoid reworks and errors
Some physical demands of being a pipefitter include:
- Capable of working in outdoor weather and environmental conditions including extreme heat and humidity, extreme cold, and high elevations.
- Lifting and carrying awkward objects up to 60 lbs
- Standing for extended periods of time up to 11 hours per day.
- Moving the entire body. Considerable use of arms, legs, climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, crawling, twisting, reaching, and bending on a regular basis.
- Must be able to work on elevated platforms and maintain balance when stepping on narrow platforms such as beams and pipes. Must be able to perform these activities while wearing an approved full-body harness and lanyard.
- Use hands to handle, control, and feel objects and/or tools.
The Experience You Will Bring
- At least 1.5 years of experience as a pipefitter.
- Must be able to read, write & communicate in English
- Travel is a must with extended periods away from home in remote areas at times.
- Must be willing and able to work shifts up to 12 hours per day and 7 days per week
- Must be willing and able to meet all physical demands of the job
- Must be able and willing to attend mandatory safety meetings
- Must be a safety role model
- Must be willing and able to pass AWS D1.1 and ASME Section 9 weld tests.
What Will Put You Ahead
- Previous experience in a gas plant construction environment
- 3 years of experience as a pipefitter
- Previous experience being a leader for safety
- Familiar with welding basics