Industrial Hygiene/Occupational Health Specialist
Industrial Hygienist / Occupational Health Specialist
INVISTA Canada's Maitland Specialty Intermediate manufacturing site located in Maitland, Ontario has an immediate opening for an Industrial Hygienist/ Occupational Health Specialist. The IH/OH Specialist plays a key role in implementing programs, policies and procedures aimed protecting the health and safety of our employees. Working directly with our EHS teams, leaders and employees, the IH/OH Specialist is instrumental in building strong risk identification and mitigation capability within our organization, taking responsibility for leading the development of sustainable improvements to our work environments.
Our ideal candidate will be approachable and actively share their knowledge about health and safety requirements in a manufacturing environment. As a life-long learner our IH/OH Specialist will continue to enhance and advance their own knowledge and skills. This individual will always demonstrate professionalism and have strong collaboration and critical thinking skills. As a Health and Safety steward the person in this role will always act responsibly and set a positive example for others.
What You Will Do In Your Role
Program owner for industrial hygiene (IH) programs:
- Develop and maintain all Industrial Hygiene (IH) policies and programs to ensure compliance to all regulations and internal requirements.
- Lead the implementation of programs to protect employee health.
- Manage the hygiene monitoring database (Cority) to include the analysis of data, reporting of trends and recommendations regarding intervention actions.
- Coordinate industrial hygiene surveys, studies and maintain records of sampling and exposures to chemical, physical agents and occupational factors. Assess the effectiveness of our programs.
- Evaluate potential employee exposure to chemical and physical agents, quantitatively evaluate physical and chemical stressors, document all findings, maintain records on all evaluations and make recommendations regarding intervention actions.
Oversight of program delivery of occupational health (OH) programs:
- Evaluate surveillance data, identify trends and plan recommended action/response
- Ensure integration between plant operations, leadership and on-site health centres
- Provide guidance and oversight of occupational health programs
Champion risk identification and mitigation.
- Advise and collaborate with stakeholders to resolve industrial hygiene and occupational exposure issues. Conduct investigations.
- Ensure employees are knowledgeable about occupational health and hygiene concerns, programs, and regulations.
- Implement corrective actions and suspend operations if required.
- Provide expertise and assistance to work groups in developing and implementing compliance systems, programs, policies and procedures to ensure occupational exposures are adequately controlled and/or eliminated.
- Provide leadership and technical guidance to integrate industrial hygiene systems into work processes.
- Participate in other site EHS functions that support safety and occupational health strategy efforts.
- Develop and present annual regulatory training and new employee orientation.
- Train and coach team members in the identification of health and hygiene hazards and appropriate control strategies.
Work collaboratively with others to deliver innovative continuous improvement opportunities.
- Work to support other sites as required. Some travel may be required
- Seek and implement best-in-class practices. Introduce innovative methods for improvement industrial hygiene processes, technologies and methodologies.
- Support capability development of IH/OH programs execution.
- Participate and share learnings and best practices with INVISTA health and safety network.
- Propose and improve industrial hygiene practices while remaining cost efficient.
- Conduct research and benchmarking to support decision-making and improve
The Experience You Will Bring
- Post-secondary degree in industrial hygiene, health & safety, chemistry or related field is required.
- Experience and knowledge of Ontario Health and Safety Regulations
- 3 or more years of experience in a similar role and industry, specifically chemical and/or gas
What Will Put You Ahead
- Certified Industrial Hygienist designation or eligibility for the designation is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership
- Experience in Training, management systems (ex.PSM, ISO)
- Experience working in a chemistry lab
Who is INVISTA?
Our goal is for each employee, and their families, to live fulfilling and healthy lives. We provide essential resources and support to build and maintain physical, financial, and emotional strength - focusing on overall wellbeing so you can focus on what matters most. Our benefits plan includes - medical, dental, vision, flexible spending and health savings accounts, life insurance, ADD, disability, retirement, paid vacation/time off, educational assistance, and may also include infertility assistance, paid parental leave and adoption assistance. Specific eligibility criteria is set by the applicable Summary Plan Description, policy or guideline and benefits may vary by geographic region. If you have questions on what benefits apply to you, please speak to your recruiter.
At Koch companies, we are entrepreneurs. This means we openly challenge the status quo, find new ways to create value and get rewarded for our individual contributions. Any compensation range provided for a role is an estimate determined by available market data. The actual amount may be higher or lower than the range provided considering each candidate’s knowledge, skills, abilities, and geographic location. If you have questions, please speak to your recruiter about the flexibility and detail of our compensation philosophy.