Controls Engineering Intern
INVISTA (Canada) Company’s Kingston Site located in Ontario has an opening for a Controls Engineering Intern. It is one of the city’s largest employers with over 700 employees dedicated to the production of quality products used in the automotive airbag, and engineering polymer industries. Our large production plant has a broad range of engineering applications from the upstream chemical processes (reactors, distillation columns, extruders) to downstream spinning processes which use highly automated, mechanical systems.
As part of Kingston Site’s Process Control Team, you will have the opportunity to create real value, working in a fast-paced manufacturing environment to improve and transform our manufacturing technology and processes for Nylon 6,6 polymers and high tenacity fibers.
At Kingston Site we believe employees create exceptional value for our shareholders and customers through high-quality products that save and enrich lives, while constantly striving to improve our sustainable footprint. We do this through the strength and capabilities of our people and the application of new ideas and technology. We are looking for motivated and talented people who will help us meet the challenge of leading rapid experimentation, pursuing continuous innovation, and creating long-term value for customers and society. INVISTA is an independently managed but wholly owned subsidiary of Koch Industries, Inc, one of the largest privately held companies in the world with a presence in nearly 60 countries. This opening is for a 12 – 16-month term, starting Jan 2023 or May 2023, with the possibility of an earlier start depending on the academic situation.
To thrive in our Principle Based Management® culture, you must show initiative, be results-driven, and have excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills. Above all, you must ensure that all your activities are carried out with integrity and in a safe and efficient manner.
What You Will Do In Your Role
- Advance industrial control systems alarm rationalization initiatives by working as part of a plant multidisciplinary team reviewing, validating, and justifying alarms against the site standards.
- Assist with the implementation of the State Based Control projects preparing supporting documents, functional description and control narratives.
- Assist with the reverse engineering of the site's older control systems and bringing them to the current standards
- Lead and support ongoing capital projects or programs on-site with an interdisciplinary team.
- Advance digitization strategies to modernize the site’s manufacturing process. Seek out and apply emerging technologies in sensors, analytics, and vision.
The Experience You Will Bring
- Currently enrolled or recent graduate of a University Engineering degree program in 3rd or 4th year.
- A demonstrated initiative of a Principled Entrepreneur, who challenges the status quo, prioritizes based on risk and value, is solution-oriented, and meets deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills, contributing positively to a team-oriented environment
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Commitment to ongoing learning and developing new skills
- Experience with any of the following is of significant value:
- Understanding of Programmable Logic Controller (PLC), Distributed Control System (DCS), Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES), process instrumentation, and HMI interfaces
- Programming/scripting languages such as: Python, C, C++, SQL
- Signing Bonus
- Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Do you enjoy discovering a better future state? Are you motivated by seeing the results of your work in the end product? Do you want to learn more about the INVISTA experience? Watch this!
Who is INVISTA?
INVISTA is one of the world’s largest integrated producers of polymers and fibers, primarily for nylon applications. We deliver exceptional value for our customers through market insights, technological innovations, and a powerful portfolio of global trademarks.
Our Guiding Principles – Integrity, Respect, Humility, Knowledge, Self-actualization, Principled Entrepreneurship, Stewardship & Compliance, and Transformation – define the INVISTA culture. If those words are in your DNA, then please submit your resume via the application link.