Technical Writer, Engineering
Engineering Writer - Technical
The engineering writer job role and responsibilities include four main aspects – collecting data, organizing it, rewriting it, and reporting the findings. An engineering writers work begins with collecting data in accordance with specific requirements and objectives of the project.
An engineering writer shall possess the ability to understand, transform, and model data (specifications). To put data into a data system for testing and business decision-making.
The purpose of an Engineering writer is to:
· Extract information by following sequences / test instructions outlined within the documentation
· Transform data from one document set and interpret it to another system to meet the same goals and objectives as the original documentation.
· Map data for accuracy and inclusion to the proper fields in the toolset
Attention to detail is a must.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Create, maintain, and update data systems and databases; this includes new requirements, revised requirements, fixing errors and other data-related clarifications. Examples: specifications, user guide, process flow, work / test instructions.
· Prepare charts, graphs, and basic visualizations to support documentation.
· Maintain approval / historical documentation related to the process.
· Mining data from primary source, then organizing said data in a format that the toolset can accept.
· Work with cross functional teams to review documentation for test method procedural specifications. Track changes, review with the team to address all documentation issues accordingly.
· Recommend new and innovative means to meet department documentation goals that simplify compliance, reduce complexity, support additional communication, and improve overall quality and timing.
· Continually observe the overall process to quickly identify areas of potential error or waste.
· Recommends changes and updates to test management software functionality to facilitate ease of use by end users.
· Maintain and update SharePoint site.
· Ensure the MBM philosophies and culture is demonstrated.
Education and Work Experience:
- Degree in mechanical / electrical engineering and 1-2 years of relevant experience (preferably automotive)
- 1-2 years experience in reading and understanding technical documents / requirements
Preferred Work Experience:
- 2 years technical writing
- Proven project skills to manage and complete several projects simultaneously which requires support from several different sources.
- Demonstrated ability to express complex technical concepts clearly and concisely.
- Analytical and creative ability to convey complex information in appropriate and effective ways.
- Interpersonal skills to work effectively with internal and external customers.
- Polarion ALM requirements management system
- Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Microsoft 365 and Adobe Acrobat skills.