Koch Companies Public Sector (KCPS), a subsidiary of Koch Industries, is seeking a highly-motivated intellectual property attorney with strategic thinking skills, a contribution mindset, and leadership experience to join our integrated IP Legal Capability as counsel, senior counsel, or chief counsel. This role supports the diverse, global businesses of the Koch companies in all aspects related to IP, with a focus on trademarks, copyrights, and domain names, helping develop and lead overall IP strategies, and supporting IP-related deal work on mergers and acquisitions.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate integrity, deliver sophisticated, risk-adjusted, practical counsel to senior leaders with confidence, embrace and drive transformation, and be a lifelong learner. The candidate will support various Koch companies in various locations, requiring the ability to interact in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment and develop strong relationships at all levels of the organization. A successful candidate will demonstrate an interest in understanding each of the supported Koch businesses and the markets in which they operate, partnering with various stakeholders to provide value-driven services in line with commercial objectives.
The position is located in Atlanta, Georgia; Lisle, Illinois; or Wichita, Kansas.
What You Will Do In Your Role:
- Working on a broad range of trademark, trade dress, and copyright matters, including enforcement, litigation, disputes, transactions, clearance, licensing, settlements, and providing guidance to the trademark paralegal team on domestic and international prosecution
- Coaching and mentoring the trademark paralegal team and delivering thought leadership to IP Capability management
- Providing strategic counseling to various Koch companies on global trademark and domain name portfolios, and, in collaboration with the trademark paralegals, efficiently managing domestic and foreign outside counsel
- Evaluating and handling copyright questions related to on-line content and social media, identifying and advising on issues related to fair use, rights of privacy and rights of publicity, and use of third-party and consumer-generated content
- Negotiating and drafting various IP agreements, including trademark and copyright licenses and talent releases
- Performing IP due diligence and drafting and negotiating IP-related terms for M&A transactions as part of the deal team
The Experience You Will Bring
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- State bar admission
- 5+ years of IP experience, including trademarks, copyrights, and domain names
- Experience drafting and negotiating IP terms for M&A agreements
What Will Put You Ahead
- Experience leading teams or projects
- Experience managing or mentoring other team members
- Experience practicing in-house
- Experience with rights of privacy and rights of publicity
- Experience with service marks
- Experience with patents and trade secrets
- Experience substantively negotiating IP terms for M&A agreements with transaction counterparties
- Experience with IP litigation
Our goal is for each employee, and their families, to live fulfilling and healthy lives. We provide essential resources and support to build and maintain physical, financial, and emotional strength - focusing on overall wellbeing so you can focus on what matters most. Our benefits plan includes - medical, dental, vision, flexible spending and health savings accounts, life insurance, ADD, disability, retirement, paid vacation/time off, educational assistance, and may also include infertility assistance, paid parental leave and adoption assistance. Specific eligibility criteria is set by the applicable Summary Plan Description, policy or guideline and benefits may vary by geographic region. If you have questions on what benefits apply to you, please speak to your recruiter.
At Koch companies, we are entrepreneurs. This means we openly challenge the status quo, find new ways to create value and get rewarded for our individual contributions. Any compensation range provided for a role is an estimate determined by available market data. The actual amount may be higher or lower than the range provided considering each candidate’s knowledge, skills, abilities, and geographic location. If you have questions, please speak to your recruiter about the flexibility and detail of our compensation philosophy.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf